Mac beyond Reverse polarity on battery and other weird stuff

Jonno Raab

I bought a wheel Called a MAC-BEYOND Hi Wheel E1.

it looks like a rebranded generic X3.  First time I started it after a full charge it was fine, next day I pressed the button, lights came on, bleeper made startup sound and then it went dead. Few hours later I started it and it came on but only three lights. Charge it, after a few seconds it's green so start it up and same thing as before, lights on, bleeped making startup sound then it goes dead. There's no way I'm riding this thing til I sort out the problem so I take the cover off.  The motor power spade  connectors are wobbly so I solder them straight to the board. Then I notice the power connectors are spade connectors but plugged In reverse polarity. I check the battery outputs and they are correct so it's deffo been connected in reverse polarity. Instinct tells me to plug it in properly but logic says if it didn't blow the board I shouldn't change it. Something is deffo wrong here. Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen if the battery polarity is reversed? Is there a diode or something to protect the board? I'm not touching the switch until I get an answer of some sort. Can anyone identify the board?

IMG_2371.JPG

when it was running correctly for a while (first time)....i would think over another fault than reverse polarity...

pretty hard to say something about generic boards as : quote from website of a reputable EUC repairer:

"Generic boards are out there a few hundreds...and each producer used a different type."

I unscrewed the board and used the polarity of the capacitors to indicate the power polarity. It looks like either a typo on the board or a trap for warranty voiders but the power connectors in reverse polarity deffo go to the right places. There is some nice thick solder where Its needed. The spade connectors to the battery are as wobbly as the motor connectors were and the hall connections are a mess so I rebuilt those but used solder instead of trying to close up the fiddly little inserts. It looks like a well put together board inside a good quality shell and assembled by a chimpanzee.  It works fine now although it chatters to itself like R2D2. Cute but might get on my nerves.  I only paid £90 for it and apparently it's a new British company.  I also have a RiiRoo twin wheel. It's another British company. I ordered it in green for less than £200 on a promotion. I didn't know they don't do plain colours, only the ugliest designs that would only suit an 8 year olds bedside lamp. Dip coated so it's all distorted and no padding, but the thing runs like a dream. I go miles on it and usually still have 4 lights on. The battery is 44000mah. All It took was a spray of paint. It shows that British companies can source and sell good products. Just need some lessons in aesthetics 

IMG_2373.PNG

Archived