New Dual Wheel Unicycle User here..

Barry Seah

Dear ALL, 

I am new to this and I am trying to master it.. but I have a few questions, when I tried riding it, in some way it feels lob sided and it keep wobbling when i am moving. I am also looking for a Trolley holder to attach on, went to Passion Gadgets but they say they do not have because mine is far too wide due to dual wheels. I have attached the photo of my unicycle for reference. 

IMG_0001_1.jpg

I bought a twin-wheel unicycle also - 1 year ago - and I quickly discovered that it has some disadvantages compared to a single wheel.

If you can find an absolutely flat surface, it will run ok.  But as soon as there is a slight unevenness in the road surface, the 2 wheels fight against each other and the wheel wobbles from side to side.  A single wheel would simply bump up and down and not cause the side to side motion which is quite alarming at first and can cause you to lose balance as the wheel shoots out from under you!  

I am now used to this and can cover miles without losing it.  My main advice is - don't try to go fast during the first few weeks and, also,  let the wheel wobble between your feet.  Once you can relax a bit (may take quite a few weeks practice!), you will get used to the movement and be ready to correct the twitches without worrying about them.

If you are still in the very early stages of trying to get your balance, practice getting on while holding a wall or rail with one hand and (still holding on) rock gently back and forwards on the wheel while keeping your eyes up and looking in to the distance. (best way to maintain balance)

I also spent the early weeks (last winter) practising indoors and mastering slow speed balance - going around furniture and just getting used to being on it.  Half an hour a day of that improved my confidence when I went outside again.  Just remember, uneven surfaces are your enemy in the early days and you must go slowly if the ground is at all uneven.

(Good F1 race in Singapore tonight!)

6 hours ago, Blackwheel Jack said:

I bought a twin-wheel unicycle also - 1 year ago - and I quickly discovered that it has some disadvantages compared to a single wheel.

If you can find an absolutely flat surface, it will run ok.  But as soon as there is a slight unevenness in the road surface, the 2 wheels fight against each other and the wheel wobbles from side to side.  A single wheel would simply bump up and down and not cause the side to side motion which is quite alarming at first and can cause you to lose balance as the wheel shoots out from under you!  

I am now used to this and can cover miles without losing it.  My main advice is - don't try to go fast during the first few weeks and, also,  let the wheel wobble between your feet.  Once you can relax a bit (may take quite a few weeks practice!), you will get used to the movement and be ready to correct the twitches without worrying about them.

If you are still in the very early stages of trying to get your balance, practice getting on while holding a wall or rail with one hand and (still holding on) rock gently back and forwards on the wheel while keeping your eyes up and looking in to the distance. (best way to maintain balance)

I also spent the early weeks (last winter) practising indoors and mastering slow speed balance - going around furniture and just getting used to being on it.  Half an hour a day of that improved my confidence when I went outside again.  Just remember, uneven surfaces are your enemy in the early days and you must go slowly if the ground is at all uneven.

(Good F1 race in Singapore tonight!)

Hey thanks ! no wonder its so wobbly. I kept checking and checking that both my tyres are correctly pumped. Anyway, i can roll on it , just that have problem turning and also getting up.. once I'm up, I'm good to go.. but when I'm down, i always had a hard time starting off.. So now you are still using a twin wheel unicycle? do you have a trolley handle? I need the trolley handle when i am in malls as they are not allowed to be used inside and it is easier to pull it like a trolley then leaving it on and pull it around with the strap 

oh... noted on that. The reason i am looking for the trolley handle is so I am able to get to pull my unicycle around when i am in a mall. Else, moving it around can be really hectic with the power left on and hooking on the safety strap to pull around. As mine is a twin wheel type, so far, i found that it is far too wide for trolley handle. 

15 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

That will go away with practice. Don't try to use a trolley handle or such while riding, practice next to a railing till you are stable. 

I am also a new wheeler on two wheels. You can consider to practice with lower tire pressure to less than 40 psi during learning phase as you will have more control. Once you have more experience, increase the tire pressures to find what is optimal for you. When I tried on 45 psi, I felt like I was relearning how to ride again :) 

3 hours ago, Lyon said:

I am also a new wheeler on two wheels. You can consider to practice with lower tire pressure to less than 40 psi during learning phase as you will have more control. Once you have more experience, increase the tire pressures to find what is optimal for you. When I tried on 45 psi, I felt like I was relearning how to ride again :) 

oh ! Ok thanks ! Will try ! 

7 hours ago, Barry Seah said:

Hey thanks ! no wonder its so wobbly. I kept checking and checking that both my tyres are correctly pumped. Anyway, i can roll on it , just that have problem turning and also getting up.. once I'm up, I'm good to go.. but when I'm down, i always had a hard time starting off.. So now you are still using a twin wheel unicycle? do you have a trolley handle? I need the trolley handle when i am in malls as they are not allowed to be used inside and it is easier to pull it like a trolley then leaving it on and pull it around with the strap 

Yeah, turning is not smooth with twin wheels. I find it impossible to cut a steady curve by leaning, the way you would do on a bicycle/motorcycle. I can change direction gradually by looking and turning my upper body in the desired direction but for sharp corners, it's a case of very slow speed and several 'stabs' of the pedal on the inside of the curve.

I expect this problem will disappear when I eventually get a single wheel model.

As for the trolley handle, I haven't looked for one so can't comment. I wonder if you can buy some kind of telescopic rod or trolley handle and lash it to the casing with gaffa tape....?:unsure:

1 hour ago, Blackwheel Jack said:

Yeah, turning is not smooth with twin wheels. I find it impossible to cut a steady curve by leaning, the way you would do on a bicycle/motorcycle. I can change direction gradually by looking and turning my upper body in the desired direction but for sharp corners, it's a case of very slow speed and several 'stabs' of the pedal on the inside of the curve.

I expect this problem will disappear when I eventually get a single wheel model.

As for the trolley handle, I haven't looked for one so can't comment. I wonder if you can buy some kind of telescopic rod or trolley handle and lash it to the casing with gaffa tape....?:unsure:

hmm.. i am still looking around. Will update here when I saw one. I think I master the twin wheels first, later on then go Single Wheel.. since I already have the twin wheel with me..

Archived