Cooling using heat sinks ks18a control board

checho

This is the enhanced cooling for the ks18a, here I will only cover the heat sinks, on a separate post I will post the other side of the motherboard. 

And later pictures of the fans, still working on the fans.

The idea is to remove heat as quickly as possible from the aluminum plate, the aluminum plate cools the MOSFETs which are easily burned if they get too hot.

To glue the heatsink to the aluminum board a heat conducting and non electrical conducting glue must be used.

I used  this materials:

Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Adhesive Set AATA-5G. 

2 100x45x10 mm the larger heat sinks

4smaller heat sinks same height to make the board level.

Longer sheet metal screws, longer by 10 mm

On the other side of the control board many tiny heat sinks were used.

1 pack of 20 tiny heat sinks, rhs-01 cosmos 20 piece pack.

The tiny heat sinks come with thermal tape of extremely bad quality, the thermal tape can be removed with sand paper and the thermal glue used instead.

All surfaces cleaned with wd40 electrical contact cleaner.

Total expenses $6 thermal glue, $6 contact cleaner, $20 heat sinks, $1 screws. Total so far $33 dollars.

Initial tests show that heat sinks provide great thermal conductivity, rode with the top cover off on a day with 15 C and in less than 1 block temperature dropped to lowest level the android app reads which is 25C rode on flat surface. In a production environment the top will be on and fans will take air from the bottom make it go through the control board and eject it at the top away from the control board. Fans are needed to make the cooling faster, the air circulation can be made passive since hot air goes up, therefore an opening will be needed to eject hot air. The idea of releasing the hot air on top away from the motherboard is that hot air naturally goes up, and by being away from the control board if water does get in, gravity will take it to the bottom of the wheel where it would be released to the outside. On a separate post later on I will post details since I am still experimenting with tiny 5v fans.

IMG_20160508_180922.jpg

Just now, checho said:

This is the enhanced cooling for the ks18a, here I will only cover the heat sinks, on a separate post I will post the other side of the motherboard. 

And later pictures of the fans, still working on the fans.

The idea is to remove heat as quickly as possible from the aluminum plate, the aluminum plate cools the MOSFETs which are easily burned if they get too hot.

To glue the heatsink to the aluminum board a heat conducting and non electrical conducting glue must be used.

I used  this materials:

Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Adhesive Set AATA-5G. 

2 100x45x10 mm the larger heat sinks

4smaller heat sinks same height to make the board level.

Longer sheet metal screws, longer by 10 mm

On the other side of the control board many tiny heat sinks were used.

1 pack of 20 tiny heat sinks, rhs-01 cosmos 20 piece pack.

The tiny heat sinks come with thermal tape of extremely bad quality, the thermal tape can be removed with sand paper and the thermal glue used instead.

All surfaces cleaned with wd40 electrical contact cleaner.

Total expenses $6 thermal glue, $6 contact cleaner, $20 heat sinks, $1 screws. Total so far $33 dollars.

Initial tests show that heat sinks provide great thermal conductivity, rode with the top cover off on a day with 15 C and in less than 1 block temperature dropped to lowest level the android app reads which is 25C rode on flat surface. In a production environment the top will be on and fans will take air from the bottom make it go through the control board and eject it at the top away from the control board. Fans are needed to make the cooling faster, the air circulation can be made passive since hot air goes up, therefore an opening will be needed to eject hot air. The idea of releasing the hot air on top away from the motherboard is that hot air naturally goes up, and by being away from the control board if water does get in, gravity will take it to the bottom of the wheel where it would be released to the outside. On a separate post later on I will post details since I am still experimenting with tiny 5v fans.

IMG_20160508_180922.jpg

This is the other side of the board using tiny heat sinks, since we do no have data or information of which chips are most likely to heat the most, I took a simplistic approach I do know that in general the cooler the chips the better, for that reason every chip has a heat sink. Even though most likely it is an overkill it works, otherwise tests would have to be done to find out where most of the heat ocurs. The thermal glue is non electrical conductive so there is no risk of a short, and it is of high quality the heats sinks will not come loose.

To have proper cooling of the board is critical for heavy riders on hills, proper cooling will not only make the control board last longer it can save you from a faceplant.

This idea can be applied to any EUC the only thing that will change are the sizes of the heat sinks.

IMG_20160517_200746.jpg

Archived