Mten4 Axle broken - Factory Defect or not?

deanok

Mten4 Axle broken - Factory Defect or not?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What would you say - is this a factory defect? // To Mten4 owners: do you have the same asymmetry?

• Yes this is a factory defect
    • No it's not a problem at all

Below are the photos of my Mten4 broken axle. From my perspective the hole for the cable is drilled off center. 

What would you say - is this a factory defect? 

Did anyone else experience the rupture of an axle in Mten4 maybe? Speak up - if this is a common issue / design flaw then we can request the manufacturer for recall/replacement/service/etc.. 

IMG_0487.png

IMG_0489.jpg

Edited by deanok
  • Sad 1

34 views and not a single reply? C’mon guys - if we won’t be more proactive/united we will be waiting for the appropriate QA, adequate responsibility and accountability of the manufacturers forever (or till 13th of December when GPSR will be enforced:) )

I’m not saying that you should choose one or another option - just vote - if no then no. Ignorance is the worst thing possible…

I own an menten 4 and I do “gentle” curb drops and small jumps. To my knowledge the m10 series is semi notorious for breaking axles. So far so good with mine although I’m very aware that I could snap it. A hollow bore would be a better option I think. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I own an menten 4 and I do “gentle” curb drops and small jumps. To my knowledge the m10 series is semi notorious for breaking axles. So far so good with mine although I’m very aware that I could snap it. A hollow bore would be a better option I think. 

Thank you for your feedback. This is something I'm bothered with - you know that the mten is notorious for breaking axles but your first thought is not that it's a design flaw of the manufacturer and he should fix that (not by releasing another mten 6-7-8 whatever but first taking care of existing customers and faulty products/issues!! ) but something which is considered being normal?! That's what I'd like to point out - just imagine a Nissan Leaf which is notorious for breaking an axle... :) What do you think would the manufacturer do in such case? We are going to see some similar stuff and all other flaws "by design" until we accept that and treat it as a normal stuff!

PS: I've broken my axle just by a gentle curb drop of approximately 3 inches - never did any big jumps. It's just made that way!

I wish you never face this issue because if you do - you will discover that you can't find an axle itself as a spare part - the only option would be a motor assembly...

Edited by deanok

While purchasing my first EUC which was Nikola+ (100V) I've spotted some kind of claims around the internet about the reliability of Gotway EUCs but had no problems with it at all... Maybe it was the reason why I was way too optimistic and bought a newly released Master (v1)... During my very first ride the tire went off the rim, blocked the motor rotation which resulted in a burned main board (actually a couple of burnt FETs - those sh..y JMSH 1507A as far as I remember). Next I've had several additional crashes/cutoffs/burnt FETs/3 board replacements/broken knee/broken shoulder/.... - a lot of fun heh). And I know that there are people even at this forum who know what I mean when I say that using the FETs which differ in terms of threshold voltage within one batch in a parallel configuration is known to cause issues! If someone needs a scientific publication as a proof for that - I can easily share that. 

Still most of us (I mean EUC buyers/users/forum guys) just accept those things and do nothing to stop this nonsense.... (((

/////

Overall I should probably confess that Mten4 was the most reliable wheel which I had (excluding my very first EUC - One S2 which "migrated" to UK and  is still alive despite all odds) - it had never turned off while I was riding it (what a surprise :D - maybe because it doesn't use those JMSH 1507A). Still the axle is a weak point and has flaws by design - IMHO

BTW I'm not the heaviest rider - 165 pounds approximately without gear (and I don't ride with any gear on mten4). If there would be some kind of dispute or trial - I am quite confident that I'll be able to prove that there is a design flaw there and I have some quite straightforward ways to do that.

I've raised this discussion to bring together more people who had similar problems with EUCs and just accepted that either due to some weird comments somewhere in social media that push him to accept that he's the only one having issues or just had decided that their time is much more valuable and it's not worth pushing those claims further trying to get the fair outcome while being cut off by the "authoritative" opinion of well known influencers who "magically" change their mind and attitude to the EUC manufacturers suddenly + forgetting what they've recently told in a couple of posts/videos before. Guess why? ) I don't have any intelligence on them - each of us can make his own conclusion.

5 hours ago, deanok said:

Below are the photos of my Mten4 broken axle.

The metal looks like it was cast instead of being machined from a solid piece of steel. Not ideal for an axle. When you say "drilled off center" i think it was cast from a mold not drilled at all. Probably some light lathe work to get the smooth surfaces for the bearings. I am not metal expert though so i could be wrong. Sorry i have no experience with any Begode wheels.

• Like 1

Non hollow motors could all benefit from a custom axle because you don't know what they come with. Some motors are less prone because they have a larger diameter.

I remember hearing that the Mten3/MCM5 have the smaller diameter sensitive axles, and the Tesla/MSX have the larger.

I wonder what this Mten4 came with?

In any case. Small diameter axles should never be jumped with. Even if you're lightweight, I learned because I cracked a pedal at only 65kg rider weight and I don't even jump my wheels.

If you want to play around maybe do so on a hollow motor. Or at least a massive axle wheel.

11 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Non hollow motors could all benefit from a custom axle because you don't know what they come with. Some motors are less prone because they have a larger diameter.

I remember hearing that the Mten3/MCM5 have the smaller diameter sensitive axles, and the Tesla/MSX have the larger.

I wonder what this Mten4 came with?

In any case. Small diameter axles should never be jumped with. Even if you're lightweight, I learned because I cracked a pedal at only 65kg rider weight and I don't even jump my wheels.

If you want to play around maybe do so on a hollow motor. Or at least a massive axle wheel.

It wasn't even a jump when it finally broke - it was just a step down from the pavement to the road with a delta of approximately 3 inches 

Basically they (the motor supplier) has machined away most of the metal. They probably never had a problem as it is a scooter motor so just has to support 1/2 the rider's weight. So the design flaw was Begode assuming the axle with all that steel machined away was strong enough to support a rider often more than 50% heavier than the average chinese rider.

Screenshot_20240927-125119.png

9 hours ago, deanok said:

Below are the photos of my Mten4 broken axle.

From the photos, it looks to have too generous manufacturing tolerances and low quality steel. For me both are clear defects, but for Begode it could be standard quality.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

I'm trying to gather as much of the independent opinions on the subject as possible.

I realize that I could be a bit biased due to the failures I've experienced myself with those eucs I've been using. That's why I really appreciate hearing someone's else opinion on the "quality" and approach to the business/customer/product support of our wonderful innovative EUC manufacturers.

Side note for everyone: If you are located inside the EEA (EU basically) - I would highly recommend you to get yourself familiar with GPSR. If you are going to purchase any type of PEV at least  - I bet that when you examine those GPSR regs - you'll be not just glad and satisfied - it's something... ;)

There's no way I would expect that tiny piece of hollowed out, cast iron to hold someone's weight!

This is one reason all this stuff is made in China. US MFG could never get away with safety risks like this, and the liability insurance would be through the roof!

Anybody else not able to get exploding beepers out of the back of their mind?

I love EUC's! Just the kind of thrills I've been looking for in my boring life 💯