T4 shock absorber replacement. What's the size of shock I should be looking for?

Jimi00

Hey there, the air shock on my t4 is busted and I'm looking for a replacement.

What's the size of shock I should be looking for? (length, width, etc...), without needing to change the linkage ? I suppose it's 190mm but I see sometime users that installed 200mm...

What is the size of the eyes ? I see some 8mm or 12mm eyes. 

Any advice for a particular product ? 

Many thanks in advance for you informed responses. 

Have a good day wheelers ! ;)

Edited by Jimi00

• Jimi00 changed the title to T4 shock absorber replacement. What's the size of shock I should be looking for?

I used a RockShox Monarch RT3 DebonAir 200x51 on my Master (same shock). But the eye is mostly 12.7 mm and you need a a 12 mm eye. You have to change the bushing to 12mm. (ID 12 x OD 15 and width 15mm).

as far as I know, a 200x48 would also fit. 

17 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I used a RockShox Monarch RT3 DebonAir 200x51 on my Master (same shock). But the eye is mostly 12.7 mm and you need a a 12 mm eye. You have to change the bushing to 12mm. (ID 12 x OD 15 and width 15mm).

as far as I know, a 200x48 would also fit. 

Thank you for your reply. 
I can remember that the T4 has not exactly the same damper/linkage than the Master. True or false ? 

Many thanks to you, it really helps. Aprreciate it :thumbup: 
My concern is that I don't want to put the same sh*ty model, I'm looking for one more resistant, with a spring. That's why I'm questionning the differents measurements of the original one, to put another model with the same dimensions, without having to change the linkage. 

Edited by Jimi00

If using the stock suspension you would use a 190mm eye to eye shock.  Using the stock arms, you would need a pretty hefty spring up to about 1500lbs depending on your weight and the usage.

I would get a DNM DV-22AR coil shock 190mm with 12mm eyes and a 1300 to 1500lb spring. Or replace the suspension arms with EMA linkages and go with a 200mm or 220mm DNM burner RCP2S Shock with a 550lb or 500lb spring.

My current setup is the EMA linkage arms with 200 mm DNM RCP2S shock with 500 LB Rock Shock spring. Totally worth the investment.

My riding weight is ~195lbs.  Any heavier I would use the 550 LB spring that came with the shock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, you can also use shocks with springs and buy a bunch off springs until you have adapted them to your weight and preferences. 

I prefer air shocks that allow adjustments without having to constantly buy and rebuild shocks. This allows me to glide softly over the asphalt or, if necessary, a harder set-up for more demanding off-road riding. 

• Like 1

I have also gone down the route of air shocks and they do have their advantages. The DNM-AOY-38RC is a good, fairly cheap air shock with lockout if needed. I did get two of them, 190mm and 200mm eye spacing. 

For last night's ride, I stalled the 200mm DNM-AOY-38RC air shock set at 180psi.  It was more firm than the DNM RCP2S shock with 500 LB spring, but didn't bottom out over some of the jumps I hit. If I lower the air pressure to ~160 psi, it feels similar to my spring setup, but not quite as cushy.

The air shock was much easier to install because you do not need to compress the spring to get the mounting pins installed. I think I will ride with the air shock for a while and try to tune it in. Then switch back to the spring sock for comparison. 

Either shock would be an upgrade to the stock Begode air shock. The suspension arms made a bigger difference than the shock itself.

• Upvote 1

Is it really busted?
It can be an easy fix as it's usually not the main piston/seal head rings that's faulty just the small pin or the valve stem itself or the rebound knob

Without having to change any parts, you can check that the o-rings are not pinched/defective/well lubricated
*I'll bet on the valve stem at 1:40 in the video
This is not your shock but the parts can be disassembled in the same way

Edited by Bizra6ot
  • Like 1