RV/automotive charging options?

Olddogdave

I’ll be doing a lot of camper van traveling with my Begode Falcon and would like to charge directly from my vehicle’s 12v DC to DC charging system. I do have a 3000 W 120 V inverter, so I can use the stock charger, but there is a there is a significant efficiency drop in all that inverting/transforming.

Does anybody have any information or experience with  a direct charger from a 12 V system?

I have a 19G Chateau camper/motorhome with an internal power bank besides battery under the hood, 6000w inverter and (2) Yeti 6000X, so no issues at all as far as having enough juice to charge. I can charge my KS16X 4 to 5 times from 50%. They do suck a lot of juice from the camper main battery. I also have upgraded my camper alternator. While driving, it's ok simultaneously charging the KS16X, but not when the engine is off.  BTW Yeti 6000w battery station price has come down 50%. When my camper is parked, I sometimes use the generator to recharge my Yeti power stations. What size is your camper van main battery? And what is your set-up like? I guess if you don't have a large battery bank, you might be able to charge your Falcon once. Then you have to somehow recharge your battery while driving or from another land power source. Ok, I hope this gives you some idea.

• Like 1

Do a test perhaps. The inefficiency will be the heat your charger/inverter produce. Find a cool solution and you should be efficient. 

The research is done heavily on inverters/ac chargers so you might achieve your efficiency that way, even though it might be counterintuitive. 

It is weird though that there isn't a massively advertised automotive universal charger for eucs.