18L Pedal change issue

Circuitmage

Well...ordered new spiked foot pedals for my 18L.

First one had 1 screw missing and trouble getting rod out.

2nd on had both screws missing and not to bad to get rod out. Changed pedal quickly.
Went back to first rod and spent 2 hrs trying to knock the rod out. Got it about half way through middle section and it won't budge.

Obviously, the rod must be slightly bent from several years use, but there is almost no tolerance in the rod channel. Meaning if it is even slightly bent, you are going to have a bugger of a time getting it out.

Giving up, I ordered the foot pedal bracket and just going to replace the whole thing. Hoping my hammering did not do any other damage to my wheel.

Did you use any penetration oil in the process? I changed pedals some years ago. Went smooth. So I don't remember if the rods had any significant heads. In theory, if it has a head and it is already halfway out, you should be able to hang the bracket by the rod head and apply force or nocking to the bracket, in order to push it away from the rod head.

@aerobit
No , I did not use any oil. This first one came out with a couple taps. Prob not a bad idea to have added some lube, but I was hoping I could rush through it.

No head on the rod. It has a rounded end and a flat end. I was trying to knock it out by hitting the flat end and having the rounded end push out.
I am a little concerned about my control board, but since it is at the top of the unit, I am hoping it is ok. I was using some serious force in trying to get the rod out. It is definitely locked into whatever is holding it in right now.

If I can recover the hanger after swapping it out, I will. I know I am tossing the pedal as it cracked slightly in the hammering. And I am sure the rod is bent. 

Mostly just posting for awareness as I did a quick search and did not see other threads, but I bet there are...somewhere around here.

Update:
So yeah...not having had to do more than a few tire changes before....I now realize that this pedal hanger is the first item assembled on the wheel. So in order to change this out I need to disassemble the whole wheel.

Now going to try and just cut off pedal, and work at getting rod out instead. Going to try PB blaster and more hammering this weekend....

On 9/15/2024 at 1:11 PM, Circuitmage said:

Obviously, the rod must be slightly bent from several years use, but there is almost no tolerance in the rod channel. Meaning if it is even slightly bent, you are going to have a bugger of a time getting it out.

You could try using a heat gun on the pedal base. Alu will expand a lot more than the steel rod and will likely relieve the binding pressure.

Edited by mmk

@mmk

Great tip. Thanks.

Still trying to get this blasted pedal off....worked on it some more this morning, but now pedal and rod are bent much more but did not get pedal cut off or rod out yet.

Thanks to @Michael Vu for reminding me to take off the other 6 bolts and slip the wheel out (just like changing a tire)! 

It has been a couple years since I changed a tire, so yeah...forgot all about that.....goterdone!
~1 hr to disassemble and mount new pedal hanger,
~30 mins to reassemble everything,
had to loosed pressure plate on 2nd pedal to get it to mount so that took me longer than expected about 20 mins.
So just under 2 hrs for everything.

Sweet. Shiny new spiked foot pedals.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae03bb88e7749e662e347f53c3c66910.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4910348229944f4b9e244490298211c4.jpeg

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 2