Lights on actual wheel?

I saw an e-bike with lights on the wheel, kinda like this

Spoiler

https://forums.electricbikereview.com/attachments/1602707724308-png.68605/

I was thinking about logistics of doing something similar for EUC. Is it viable if I used a motorcycle version? Would the motor fry the lights?

If the answer to that last question is "yes", then what about this system?

Spoiler

Maybe these are stupid questions, but I don't see many examples of this. For a community that loves its flashy lights, I would think this to be a common setup.

I have e-bike spoke lights - the trouble is you need to mount a battery that rides alone as the wheel spins. There just isn't room on an EUC wheel.
  JnS77ba.png

Those glow in dark vinyl stickers would work. You can also do retroreflective ones, which are even brighter from the vantage of a car driver. That's what I have.
8BkasrH.png

They're very cheap and lots of options, I recommend adding it wheel sticker reflective - Temu .

If you want the glow version, you could search "glow in the dark vinyl" and cut your own. You'll just need any light mounted to "charge" it every rotation.

You can also get a single USB-powered LED strip and stick it on the wheel like me: 
H2OEwMs.png

LED strip type I use: https://share.temu.com/MKX22rjpXgA

It's powered by a USB powerbank , mounted to the side with this kind of tape Nano tape - Wikipedia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeFrancis said:

I have e-bike spoke lights - the trouble is you need to mount a battery that rides alone as the wheel spins. There just isn't room on an EUC wheel.
  JnS77ba.png

Those glow in dark vinyl stickers would work. You can also do retroreflective ones, which are even brighter from the vantage of a car driver. That's what I have.
8BkasrH.png

They're very cheap and lots of options, I recommend adding it wheel sticker reflective - Temu .

If you want the glow version, you could search "glow in the dark vinyl" and cut your own. You'll just need any light mounted to "charge" it every rotation.

You can also get a single USB-powered LED strip and stick it on the wheel like me: 
H2OEwMs.png

LED strip type I use: https://share.temu.com/MKX22rjpXgA

It's powered by a USB powerbank , mounted to the side with this kind of tape Nano tape - Wikipedia

LED strips do not bend or flex when laid flat. I doubt anyone could mount these common light strips to the sloped (in-)side of an EUC wheel effectively.

Here is the best option I have found:

61MTYgMbX6L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Yes, that's what I linked and suggested for the rim -  wheel sticker reflective - Temu .

The LED strips go on the EUC. People in SF say "wheel" to mean "EUC", I wasn't referring to the actual wheel. There would be no way to power it from the actual wheel, since the battery cell to power the LED strip would fly off spinning 50mph. I can imagine no way at least.

Posted (edited)

Make big coil around rim and add led lights.. Enjoy your Christmas wheel.

Maybe coil can be put inside the motor. (Covers) :D Doubt it will work..

Edited by Funky

I ended up going with the same idea @litewave threw out: https://www.amazon.com/customTAYLOR33-Intensity-Reflective-Copyrighted-SportsBikes/dp/B00G61E1FW

After thinking more on it, I agreed it wouldn't be feasible/worth my time to figure out how to mount lights directly on the wheel. But these strips seem to be quite bright as is, so I'm not too bothered by that.

My link in the first comment is identical to those amazon ones but way cheaper, just saying. Retroreflective vinyl precut into rim curves. The Amazon one is probably the same $2 supplier but marked up. Amazon is faster shipping though.