KS 18XL - error code 1 and 4 red light - motor replacement?

zerodk

Yesterday when I rode my wheel, it suddenly shuddered and started beeping. I looked have received an error code led 1 and 4. I checked and it is related to the hall sensor and motor connection. This is the 3rd time  that this has happened, but everytime, it has turned back on and  it rides fine after.

I haven't taken it apart yet to check. Am I doomed in needing a motor replacement?

I'm just replying here to bump your question up again. The other 18XL thread next to this got a lot of love but not yours..

Maybe @Funky might have a suggestion. He's got a lot of experience with the 18XL

Connected to the shuddering, all I can suggest is possible loosening motherboard screws, because you say it's corrected itself previously. That doesn't explain the error code though. 

Hopefully someone comes along. 

Shuddered. As in violently starting to shake? Or what? Going off like a drill/jackhammer? Mine did that once in 3 years.. I stepped of the wheel at sharp angle, idk what happened.. Haven't had it happen ever again since.

I think @Voyager mean "tighten" motherboard screws.. Not loosen them. By loosening them, it will let motherboard move around and effect the "gyro".. That also can explain the shaking.

In most cases the shaking is because of broken inner shell. (Check around pedal "L" brackets - where you screw shell to pedals with those 6 bolts. Also check the "box" of the plastic that go around pedals for cracks..) If there are cracks in plastic around the Pedals "L" brakes - it will shake like crazy. Because whole EUC shell/body now is moving around.. Those screws are only thing that hold all EUC shell/body onto pedals/motor.

Can't explain the 1/4 error code doh.. I didn't know we can get those. :D

Also @Voyager i only have owned 18xl for 3 years.. Doesn't mean i know jack shit. :D I only go of by logic. And what i have heard. Like wheel starting to shake - often is because of broken shell.. Naturally it will start to shake, if you think about it - nothing is holding the EUC body unto pedals, or only one side is somewhat holding unto pedals = shaking. Same for loose motherboard - it moves - effect gyro = shaky, shaky.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Funky said:

I think @Voyager mean "tighten" motherboard screws.. Not loosen them. By loosening them, it will let motherboard move around and effect the "gyro".. That also can explain the shaking.

My bad, I should have written possible loosening of motherboard screws. I meant that they were possibly loosening over time. So try tightening them if they have :D

All the repairs, mods and waterproofing you've done to yours, you're an expert already :D  Good point about the shell cracking. I didn't think of that. All I could think of was loose motherboard affecting the gyro. 

34 minutes ago, Funky said:

Doesn't mean i know jack shit. :D 

You will after watching this. Now you'll never need to say that again... ;) :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

My bad, I should have written possible loosening of motherboard screws. I meant that they were possibly loosening over time. So try tightening them if they have :D

All the repairs, mods and waterproofing you've done to yours, you're an expert already :D  Good point about the shell cracking. I didn't think of that. All I could think of was loose motherboard affecting the gyro. 

You will after watching this. Now you'll never need to say that again... ;) :D

Now i know Jack shit and their whole Shit family.. Omg, there's so many Shit's to give.

Waterproofing - siliconed motor shut.. Big WoW. :D Same for replacing/soldering broken connector. So hard.

Oh and modding inner white shell, so i don't need to run wires true that small hole. (Only modding i have done is cutting plastic and now i can simply lift the inner shell of the pedals, not running wire true little hole in plastic. Same concept as Kingsong 16X inner shell.. Otherwise i need to bend/run those wires every time i change tire - over time those wires will break.)

Anyways - let's not chit/chat..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying. 

The shudder only happen right when the error code and beeping happen. When I get off, turn off the wheel and turn back on, then no more shuddering so I think the loose bolts on the L hanger probably is not happening. 

This happened a total of 3 times, the first 2 times happened in the same ride, may be a distance of 100m. The 3rd time happened probably av week later with dinner rides in between. 

I'll try opening the wheel to check the connections. Thank you for the suggestions