Battery pack repairs

Hi Guys

Has anybody had any experience in repairing battery packs?

One of my friends has a wheel that he's done less than 500km on and a couple of the cells have died. I have the same wheel and have done nearly 7000km. The price of a replacement pack is ridiculous!

I'm fine with doing electronics but have never worked on packs this size before. I'd have to buy a 'battery welder' for the tags. Replacing the 'damaged' cells would be a lot cheaper.

It's possible but it's tricky because the cells are live while you're working on them. A single cell isn't very dangerous but as your pack grows it becomes very dangerous. 

Original packs can look quite different. Some are easier to work on than others.

If you're working on a pack from a brand that likes to disable your wheel at first sign of problem like Inmotion it might not be worth it. Brand new cells of the same model are matched before they go in a pack. Two different batches of cells can over time create a voltage difference that sets off these alarms.

I'd still try to repair it but it might not work as new is what I'm saying. Maintenance free riding that is. And selling it later is a problem because buyers expect it to be plug and play. 

Hmmmm - a good point.

The battery pack is from a Kingsong S22.

126v might be a bit shocking but....... it's over NZ$2,787.82 to replace!  That's more than half the price of a new one!  Ouch!

I think it's worth fixing but contain your expectations a little and fix it to ride the wheel a lot, not for resale value purpose.

Doesn't the S22 come with a smart bms? 

If that's the case you don't need this next tip. Install balance wires so you can do some monitoring and balancing without taking the wheel apart too much. 

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Doesn't the S22 come with a smart bms? 

Yes it does have a good BMS. Mine is working just fine but my friend is really fed-up with his wheels.
I had to replace a number of parts on his V11. It just didn't want to work properly.
In the end he managed to get a warranty replacement.

Unfortunately, the S22 is out of warranty period even though he's done less than 500km.

Thanks for the suggestions. All help is appreciated :thumbup:

On 4/17/2024 at 2:20 AM, alcatraz said:

How's it going? Encountered any issues yet? 

It hasn't at the moment. I've been away touring around in our caravan and doing a bit of riding. There are some really great people out there :)

I've also been asking/researching when I can. I'm looking into which spotwelder to get. I have all the other tools already so that won't be a problem.

Up early this morning to go for another ride. Looking forward to seeing more beautiful New Zealand. :D

On 4/10/2024 at 11:38 AM, alcatraz said:

我认为它值得修复,但要稍微控制您的期望并修复它以经常驾驶方向盘,而不是出于转售价值的目的。

S22 不是带有智能 bms 吗?

如果是这样的话,你就不需要下一个提示了。安装平衡线,这样您就可以进行一些监控和平衡,而不会将车轮拆开太多。

Kingsong's smart BMS seems to be very power-hungry, and if you don't use it, the battery will starve to death after one to two months. The battery will not be repaired without voltage.

4 hours ago, Augety said:

Kingsong's smart BMS seems to be very power-hungry, and if you don't use it, the battery will starve to death after one to two months. The battery will not be repaired without voltage.

Hmmmmmm - Now what is interesting. It certainly makes me pleased that I have nearly 7000km on my wheel whilst he has less than 500km.  I need to tell my wife that I need to ride my wheel even more to make sure the battery doesn't die :thumbup:

Augety brings up an interesting point. Smart BMSs take power from the pack to keep monitoring it.

What if the dead cell group is in fact the one group that is used to power the bms system. It's almost a design issue then. Maybe it's worth asking Kingsong. 

58 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Maybe it's worth asking Kingsong

A good point.  I'll have to take the battery apart to make sure that the BMS is correctly reporting the voltages.