KingSong S18 - how to carry?

rcgldr

The dealers state that the trolley handle isn't strong enough. Is there a spot near the shock that can safely be used to lift the S18 one handed?

11 hours ago, rcgldr said:

The dealers state that the trolley handle isn't strong enough

Unless they have changed the construction/design then you may have been misled. I have carried my S18 by the handle one handed up steep stairs (off the ground) and everywhere else over the last three years and never had an issue. Thats only one flight of stairs mind you. But I have done it hundreds of times.

Edited by The Brahan Seer
Yes, off the ground, in cars etc

13 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Unless they have changed the construction/design then you may have been misled. I have carried my S18 by the handle one handed up steep stairs (off the ground) and everywhere else over the last three years and never had an issue. Thats only one flight of stairs mind you. But I have done it hundreds of times.

I completely agree. Did it thousands of times and the handle still looks strong and safe

Posted (edited)

I'm wondering if the dealers are thinking if the trolley handle is extended. Is the trolley handle plastic or metal now? Other issues I've read is the shell pieces are thin and easily damaged, but are cheap and easy to replace.  Somehow Wrong Way bent the metal parts on the bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2opDjBQoCY&t=147s

Edited by rcgldr

22 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

the shell pieces are thin and easily damaged, but are cheap and easy to replace.  Somehow Wrong Way bent the metal parts on the bottom:

The shell pieces have 2 parts, the inner shell is slightly thin and will break in a crash but even then are still more than useable or easy to fix if you want. The outer shell are thin too but don't break in a crash. The top plastic is very strong and doesn't break. The metal parts at the bottom could bend if you pushed the wheel hard into say a rock or ridge on a trail.

My crash was 25Mph on tarmac road and it held up ok. Damaged but not unrideable. 

Take youtube vlogs with a pinch of salt. They need to create content thats interesting so either push wheels to way beyond their intended limits, over exaggerate issues or make issues out of nothing.

I will say the S18 is not the strongest wheel out there but for its intended purpose and speed it is fine. You will not be travelling over 30Mph on this wheel ever.

My biggest gripes with the S18 is how many different screws and bolts you need to remove to change a tyre on the bodywork. Its not hard but its a pain and time consuming,

and If you live in a climate with lots of rain that doesn't get the chance to dry often then you will also need to replace all the screws, nuts and bolts to stainless steel unless they have already done this with newer versions themselves. 

This is just my experience.

4 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Take youtube vlogs with a pinch of salt.

It was eWheels and EUCO that mentioned trolley handle can be an issue for lifting the S18.

I'm considering S18, but the 18XL V2 comes with spiked pedals and semi-power pads. As for the battery pack, the S18 Molicel P42A cell has less voltage drop at twice the current of the 18XL MJ1 cell, which should solve the voltage sag issue with the 20S3P Molicel pack. I don't know if the rest of the S18 components are equivalent to 18XL.

4 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

It was eWheels and EUCO that mentioned trolley handle can be an issue for lifting the S18.

Thats very strange they would think that. Its not something that has ever been mentioned as an issue here either. I would not worry about it. The handle is metal, strong, wobbly (like all others it seems) but fine. Has 2 lift settings(slightly extended say 1" and fully extended.) Both fine, no issues.

8 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

I'm considering S18, but the 18XL V2 comes with spiked pedals and semi-power pads

I think the new versions on the S18 have spiked pedals (maybe not that good). Doesn't have power pads, but it is easy to grip the wheel with your legs.

I like riding without pads but did get some jump blocks that I use occasionally but aren't really needed even on trails.

Yes the S18 with Molicels or 50S would be the best way to go. Your usable range would be way more and a lot safer too.

13 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

S18 components are equivalent to 18XL.

I think the motor and rim will be very comparable. I would be guessing but I imagine the construction on the 18XL would feel more solid just from the shape and how the plastic is used. The S18 might be under powered? but with the Molicels ok? 

There are people on this forum who have replaced the plastic of the S18 with their own plastic design enabling the use of power pads and making the whole wheel more robust.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Thats very strange they would think that. Its not something that has ever been mentioned as an issue here either. I would not worry about it.

I think the new versions on the S18 have spiked pedals (maybe not that good). Doesn't have power pads, but it is easy to grip the wheel with your legs.

18XL - mini-power pads, the old pads but with outward extensions front and back, not true power pads. I don't plan to use regular power pads. There was one batch of S18 with spiked pedals, at least from one dealer, but they're back to grip tape now.

ks18lv2.jpg

Edited by rcgldr

@rcgldr I guess it also comes down to whether you want suspension or not.

I learned on the S18 and is the only wheel I've had, but I have ridden an MCM5 V2.

I like the responsiveness and feel you get from non suspension, feels slightly more connected with the ground.

But I found the wear and tear it creates on the knees quite substantial and noticeable.

I like how suspension feels over bumps and terrain too, a lot less effort required watching the road in front. Its very forgiving.

Most folk once they go suspension rarely go back. Which ever you choose will be great fun regardless.