Surprised by a backwards cut-out

Since I added power domes and monster pedals, DIY, I had a backwards cut-out on my Z10. I had just upgraded my power domes and was practicing lifting and landing when my wheel momentarily lost balancing cutting out backwards, I regained balance on my own and then the wheel started self balancing again so I didn't fall off, but it scared me because I didn't realize how much my accessories could burden my wheel.bwl.thumb.png.8eec05c1396a1fd957b0d47dc43a2950.png

I guess that's always gonna be a risk if you put pedal extensions and pads on a wheel that shouldn't really need either of them ! :)

Both elements conspire to mean you can exert a lot more input / authority to the wheel than you normally could on that size machine, and over-torqueing would be one of the main hazards of that I guess, apart from the pointy-ends-digging-into-ground thing...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

That's one way to look at it @Cerbera, but I think I could probably overpower any EUC at my weight, 250lbs. I prefer to think of it as overcoming my fear of cut-outs in general, because my balance is good enought to ride without gyro help, at least for a bit, long enough to let the self balancing to kick back in. I think this is what doing jumps must be like. When they land they are going to have to be ready to balance without help from the gyroscope.

Interestingly, my King Song 14D doesn't cut out like this, rather, some kind of spring action kicks in to save me.

Edited by iwantmymtv
typo, moore

1 hour ago, iwantmymtv said:

because my balance is good enought to ride without gyro help

That would have been most impressive, however I suspect that it is not what happens, as the EUC never stops balancing, save PWM limit and lateral cut angle (and cut out of course). When landing after a jump it can take a fraction of a second to correct its angle, but it is still balancing. If jumping EUCs didn't balance at landing the rider would end up on his behind no matter the level of skill IMO..

If you could really ride on a un powered EUC any length of time longer than it takes to fall, make a video and you will rake in the likes.

Easy test to see how an unbalancing EUC feels: hold on to something (!) and step on the EUC when powered off. Without pads it's like standing on a piece of soap. (probably with as well)

edit: a Patton that doesn't stop balancing, in spite of mid air tilt making it spin close to cutout. Getting a grip on the ground and raw torque saves the day.

Edited by Cam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iwantmymtv said:

Since I added power domes and monster pedals, DIY, I had a backwards cut-out on my Z10. I had just upgraded my power domes and was practicing lifting and landing when my wheel momentarily lost balancing cutting out backwards, I regained balance on my own and then the wheel started self balancing again so I didn't fall off, but it scared me because I didn't realize how much my accessories could burden my wheel.bwl.thumb.png.8eec05c1396a1fd957b0d47dc43a2950.png

Interesting setup with your custom made oversize pedals and pads, I like that.
But I must disappoint you; No one is good enough to "balance" our one-wheeled friends
when self-balancing fails. If you manage to "ride" a few meters or seconds it is based
on pure luck and nothing else. It is simply impossible to keep the balance when you have
nothing to counter act against.  In the split second that you have shifted your weight
beyond (or front of) your cog, you are doomed; there is nothing that can move this back,
you have no option to act in the opposite direction, you are in free fall either forwards
or backwards. In your case, I think you have simply overtorqued your wheel, not enough for
a real cutout to occur, but it has happened so fast that you have gained the perception
of being able to keep the balance until self-balancing was restored.;)