is it still fun to ridie on EUC after riding few years?

I'm an old (72 years now) retired guy that bought a V8F back in August 2021. It's just one my hobbies. I'm riding less these days, maybe 35 miles per month instead of 50 miles per month. I'll probably upgrade to 18XL V2. Another rider that gave me some advice when I first started mostly used his for commuting, but he's since changed jobs, and there's no good path for commuting, so he rides much less now.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 5:41 AM, FlyboyEUC said:

Ditto the other comments. EUC is a part of me. Daily commuter since 2018. Much like classic cars, I feel connected to the world around me when I ride. Not isolated from it in some plush leather heated seats, climate control, and sound dampening windows. 

My favorite part of the day is the commute. How many people outside this forum can say that? I arrive to work pumped and excited, I arrive home from work pumped and excited.

When I find myself daydreaming at work or stuck at home, I'm looking up possible routes and researching interesting points of interest I can ride to. Living in San Diego, California, there is TONS of history everywhere. Learning about the world around me and riding around it connects me to the people who came before and the legacies they left behind. I host "tours" instead of group rides to share what I learn and help others gain an appreciation for what they ride past.

Aside from that, changing wheels is a must. I upgrade every 18 months or so. I don't feel the need to upgrade yet after the master. It's a perfect balance of speed, range, and weight. I like to ride fast which always gets my heart pumping and puts a smile on my face. I also have an mten for taking out the trash, pushing my kids around, and for tricks.

I admire the people who do crazy tricks like handstands, backwards riding, riding two wheels etc. There's always something new you can learn. But you do have to have a wheel that can open the doors. IMO the V11 was a gateway drug. It is sleek sexy and a great beginner wheel. But it also didn't excel at anything. So if you want more or are tired, then get a wheel that enables you to do more. I loved off-roading, but my knees would kill after riding my MSX. Once I got the S22, a whole new world was opened and I was going on trails I'd never go on. 

EUCs can do it all, if you just want a casual stroll around town or a park, do it. If you want to tear up the trails, do it. If want to be the fastest person on the road, do it. If you want to play the bagpipes while riding backwards in a circle, do it. EUCs are so versatile and freeing. If you find yourself not enjoying it, switch it up.

Hello, a post can summarize all the philosophies and genres of wheelers that can be found outside, all tastes and causes are mentioned, like this all profile and behavior are described in summary we inevitably live in a wonderful world. My son will be in San Diego this week but he is not riding, unfortunately. Beautiful, well-written message, have a good day.