Upgrading from a KS 16B

Hi,

I'm currently on a KS 16B and doing mostly short (10-20km) and slow (<20kph) trail/forest path rides.

Things I'm looking for in a new wheel:
- ~3" wide tire (and lots of ground- and fender clearance for rocks to not get stuck)
- more than enough power (I weigh 70 kg and want to be able to push it hard without having to worry at speeds below 20 kph)
- easy to accelerate on steep inclines at low speeds (that was something I loved about the 14D hated about the 18L I tried (without powerpads -> do they really make that big of a difference or is it simply the tiresize defining how easy it is to accelerate?))
- probably suspension, I haven't tried it yet (and I'm not sure how large the effect is at really low speeds)
- trolley handle and good carrying handle (one- or two-handed doesn't matter)
- relatively lightweight (40kg max (though I would have to try in person whether I like something that heavy), preferably <30kg or even below 25kg, cheers @Funky) and nimble/easy to maneuver (I might start commuting (2km, sidewalk) on it this summer)
- safe, reliable, high quality and waterproof + (real) smart BMS

I've been looking at the Lynx/Patton, the V14, the Extreme, the V11Y, the S-16 Pro and the Falcon recently but I'm not sure about a few things:
- does the Lynx even make sense below 20 kph (range is not important)? (is it easy to push up hills from a standstill, maneuver around, ...)
- same goes for the V14, Patton, Extreme and V11Y, but they might be a bit better (?)
- that's where S-16 Pro and Falcon come into play, but I'm not sure about the S-16 sliders (maintenance/longevity) and the smaller tire of the Falcon, since I'm going over larger ruts and rocks a lot (I know it's about the same size as my KS 16, but I'm sometimes thinking that something a bit larger might be better, except if that means that all the nimbleness (I hope this can be used as a synonym for "easy to accelerate and throw around at low speeds") is lost, in which case I will happily take another real 16" outer diameter tire)

Looking forward to nice conversations on this forum :D

• Like 1

Aww shucks you mentioned me. <3 

a62b816aeb44a50e1083aed6ac0e7a73.gif

Can't say much. Only thing that anything over 30kg is way to heavy. Especially if you got to lift it many times and have stairs to deal with.. Also if you plan to use it for commuting. All that lifting gets annoying real fast. Because you have to do it on daily bases. (If you don't have to lift it at all - LUCKY.. Go get any wheel you want.)

I personally am riding around 20-30km/h speeds and have 5km commute, 2.5km one way - same as you :D Doh i'm 125kg heavy. And have had zero problems with my 18xl, it has enough power.

I am eyeing the Falcon myself. Doh the 40C motor 45lbs(20kg) wheel that MAY come after Falcon might be better deal. If i'm right 40C motor has 14" rim. Making it 18x3" wheel. Doh it will not have suspension. (I'm happy that it doesn't have it.) New RS19 type performance wheel with 900Wh battery at ~20kg - YES Please! Take my money!

My roads are almost flat, so 16" wheel vs 18" is almost no difference to me. I personally also like wheels with bigger wheel wells. As you can mount M/C tires and have options..

I personally would try to get light as possible wheel for that short commute and low speed. Sure you can ride even V13 at 20km/h speeds. But question is why would you do that? Yes all of those wheels are way to powerful for those speeds and would be somewhat "wasted". But that's me.. If you like them and are okay with that weight - get them. After having my 26kg 18xl. I want something sub 20kg, nothing heavier. 

1 hour ago, Funky said:

If you don't have to lift it at all - LUCKY.. Go get any wheel you want

Well, maybe a few times a week in and out of my car, but that's it, no stairs. Still, I think that I cannot handle a 40kg wheel in between pedestrians on a sidewalk or through tight sections on a trail, but I'm hoping to get some replies from people with similar weight to me to read about their experiences.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

New RS19 type performance wheel with 900Wh battery at ~20kg - YES Please! Take my money!

Yup, that'd be aubso...whoops...awesome. Also, they could really easily make different sizes of it, just give the buyer the option to choose whether they want a 12" or a 14" rim in the same chassis, the slightly bigger gaps wouldn't matter at all, I think. (The pedal height would need to be adjustable, though, but that's also nothing new.) I just wish some other company did it, because I'm not fully sold on Begodes quality yet.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I personally would try to get light as possible wheel for that short commute and low speed. Sure you can ride even V13 at 20km/h speeds. But question is why would you do that? Yes all of those wheels are way to powerful for those speeds and would be somewhat "wasted". But that's me.. If you like them and are okay with that weight - get them. After having my 26kg 18xl. I want something sub 20kg, nothing heavier. 

Yes, if I had the choice, I'd obviously pick the lighter one. But I'm just not sure whether I need suspension or not, and I don't think there will be a wheel with proper suspension below 30kg let alone 20kg in the near future. And if it's just a really hard pogo-stick-like suspension with very little travel (like what the Falcon seems to be, but don't quote me on that), then I think you're better off with no suspension at all and ~3kg less weight.

And there are seemingly no other wheels right now that fulfill my requirements, hence I wanted to ask if someone has experience with riding any of the wheels I mentioned above at slow speeds and how their ease of acceleration/nimbleness compares (if possible also compared to a KS 16B, that'd be great). And also whether suspension even matters at such low speeds.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Can't say much.

Well, you actually said quite a lot! Thank you very much, I appreciate it :)

3 hours ago, Rider1 said:

Well, maybe a few times a week in and out of my car, but that's it, no stairs. Still, I think that I cannot handle a 40kg wheel in between pedestrians on a sidewalk or through tight sections on a trail, but I'm hoping to get some replies from people with similar weight to me to read about their experiences.

Yup, that'd be aubso...whoops...awesome. Also, they could really easily make different sizes of it, just give the buyer the option to choose whether they want a 12" or a 14" rim in the same chassis, the slightly bigger gaps wouldn't matter at all, I think. (The pedal height would need to be adjustable, though, but that's also nothing new.) I just wish some other company did it, because I'm not fully sold on Begodes quality yet.

Yes, if I had the choice, I'd obviously pick the lighter one. But I'm just not sure whether I need suspension or not, and I don't think there will be a wheel with proper suspension below 30kg let alone 20kg in the near future. And if it's just a really hard pogo-stick-like suspension with very little travel (like what the Falcon seems to be, but don't quote me on that), then I think you're better off with no suspension at all and ~3kg less weight.

And there are seemingly no other wheels right now that fulfill my requirements, hence I wanted to ask if someone has experience with riding any of the wheels I mentioned above at slow speeds and how their ease of acceleration/nimbleness compares (if possible also compared to a KS 16B, that'd be great). And also whether suspension even matters at such low speeds.

Well, you actually said quite a lot! Thank you very much, I appreciate it :)

If you want nimbleness then yeah 16" wheel will be much nimbler than 18". Easier to do those quick small left/right movements while going at slow speeds (walking). As for weight while riding - the wheel itself is in level position while riding you don't feel the weight at all. Only while stopping and stepping on/off or pushing of the ground when you step on the wheel you gonna feel the weight. But even then you counter the weight with wheel angle, by tilting it to point where it's becomes almost zero weight.. Same thing you do on smaller wheel you gonna do on bigger/heavier one. Even when you are going over rocks or what not. Wheel will be in level position more or less under you. 

I have tried little bit off-roading going left/right over tree roots, etc.. I don't feel the wheel weight at all while being on the pedals. The wheel becomes an extension of your body. 

Everyday i need to do very sharp 90 degree turn going on train station. I simply flick the wheel at walking speeds left or right, tire makes that rubbing noise on ground and wheel simply turns 90 degree almost without moving in place. Afterwards i continue riding. Sure on heavier wheel you gonna need to flick it much harder. But if i can do that almost without any resistance on 26kg wheel. I think there will be almost no difference from 36kg wheel. Because 26kg wheel - i don't feel that weight at all while i'm being on it.

As i said only while stepping on/off is the most noticeable difference. And even then over time it will become muscle memory and stepping on/off on heavier wheel will become second nature. Don't get me wrong small/light wheel is very nimble. I would say even way to nimble... But each person is different.

I have ridden KS16S and KS18XL. And i prefer 18XL.. As you need to put more input into wheel more lean while turning. As for 16S you need to turn your head and wheel start to go left or right.. Any micro movement on 16S is taken by wheel very sharply. On 18XL it's more "sluggish". But same time more fun. As you need to put more effort into turning and what not. Also 16S zippiness becomes a negative at higher speeds. Any small rock or indent will make your wheel react to it much harder compared on 18XL. On 18XL - was that a rock or indent - i almost didn't notice it.

Light vs Heavier. Smaller vs Bigger wheel. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1