MTEN4 axle strength

Hello is the MTEN4 axle reinforced hollow core or solid? I just got one and wondering if it can handle small drops off curbs and small jumps(1-2 feet high)? I’m a 175 lb rider, thanks for the help.

If I recall it’s an oval shaped solid axle. I think the A2 is the one with the hollow core axle. Not sure about the Falcon or mini menten.
I jump my m10 a fair bit, and drop a few curbs every time I ride. I stuck farrings and small Kai pads pads so I could and to give the thin metal body more strength. I’m 155lbs without gear. do know people that have broken their axles, it’s definitely a deweight and watch yourself kinda thing. I jumped a few speed bumps the other day and almost over torqued and ate $hit. But to its credit, the wheel caught and straightened up. It was totally on me. Lol. I love doing small jumps and drops, you just have to watch it on this wheel. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Thanks 1

my mten4's frame is lopsided, possibly due to speeding over rough terrain and small drops. I've never done more than a couple of curbs but it was bent way before that. At speed around 14-15 mph I can sense a vibration which I think is the axle, after speeding past that it clears up... I wouldn't suggest drops and jumps, from my experience. annoyingly you can't get anything other than the same cheap frame. I'm tempted to buy an A2 frame and transfer it over-- I think it's possible but haven't seen anyone try it

While I have not confirmed myself, its the same motor as the mten3 BUT it is mounted so the axal flats are vertical rather then horizontal. It is a simple but very effective fix to the notoriously weak mten3 axal, one I wish I could easily replicate onto my mten3.

Afaik it more then doubles the axal cross section for rider weight, not as good as a hollow core but definitely good enough to f around and find out.

12 minutes ago, timmytool said:

While I have not confirmed myself, its the same motor as the mten3 BUT it is mounted so the axal flats are vertical rather then horizontal. It is a simple but very effective fix to the notoriously weak mten3 axal, one I wish I could easily replicate onto my mten3.

Afaik it more then doubles the axal cross section for rider weight, not as good as a hollow core but definitely good enough to f around and find out.

That’s exactly my understanding as well. 

Those are good points. What condition do you want the wheel to be in after x, y and z miles? If you don't mind working on it during ownership and just giving it away later then have fun jumping with it. If not then take care.

I'm only 65kg and I'm worried about the axles on all my wheels including the larger ones for massve riders. Don't get me wrong. It's great to not having to worry about bearings or salt/crap on the roads, but when you realise that given enough time all axles will break, you might just want to avoid unnecessary drops/jumps. I find jumping fun but after I decided that I don't need to upgrade anymore I now look at it differently. I'd like to prolong its lifespan and the 5 seconds it takes me to put a foot down at the curbs aren't important anymore.