Helmet Indicator Lights

Trying a new (and suspiciously cheap if I'm honest) helmet mounted indicator system I recently scored on Amazon while I was trying to bump up another order to minimum for free postage !

At first glance things seem pretty helpful and functional. Here's a quick look round...

I was wrong about the price - only £11 + postage as it goes...

It attaches via velcro so can be easily removed for charging, and the button, which has to share space on my right hand with a finger bell, has a rubber strap you can wrap onto a finger, where it can sit comfortably in your palm for 1 hand activation without you having to grip it.

image.thumb.png.1b2e2f109fc1405da1c13dc42bcdfc27.png

Winter glove + wrist guard + bell + indicator remote in optimal configuration, earlier

As mentioned, nice features include illuminated buttons on the remote that echo what the actual lights are doing, audible sounds for indicators so you know when they are on, and VERY sticky velcro.

Negative points include CR232 in the remote, which are relatively expensive, and don't last very long, and the fact that in bright daylight it is impossible to see what the lights on the remote are telling you. Although the red light on the back is very bright and  controllable by remote, the latter only cycles through modes, so is no use as manually activated brake light - it is only a rear light.

But for a tenner, I'd say that's a decent way to let people and traffic behind you know which way you are heading next for those circumstances where that would be helpful...

For anyone who has been disturbed by the non central mounting of mine, you will be pleased to know I have fixed that now - it screwed with my OCD whenever I was playing piano and had to look at it ! :) Fortunately, I hadn't pressed the velcro down too hard initially, so it wasn't too much of a struggle to get off and reposition !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

Interesting!  I have been using BrakeFree on my motorcycle helmet for a couple of years.  I noticed that cars IMMEDIATELY started keeping more distance.  No turn indicators, and they are expensive, but they really do work well.  I am sure that there will be good knock-offs coming - no intellectual property rights honored in the land where EUCs are birthed - but it is a worthwhile investment.  Grab a couple of other mounting plates, and you can swap them between helmets.  For ANYONE with a motorcycle, this should be a no-brainer. 

Ok, in practice there were things to learn.

I originally looped their very tight and sturdy handlebar elastic strip over my middle finger, which placed the remote just where I wanted it, for easy access by thumb of same hand, but only 10 minutes later that finger went numb, and I had to remove it (the strap, not the finger!). So I replaced that on the next ride with a thick hair band, and tried the same thing, thinking it would be less grippy.

Well, it WAS less grippy, and indeed fell off my gloved hand shortly after I started yesterdays ride. I did not notice at the time alas, and despite retracing my 'steps' haven't found it yet. Tried to order a new remote from company, which they don't sell separately, but they kindly offered to replace the whole kit, which was very kind of them. Thank you LULUWA !

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, in practice there were things to learn.

I originally looped their very tight and sturdy handlebar elastic strip over my middle finger, which placed the remote just where I wanted it, for easy access by thumb of same hand, but only 10 minutes later that finger went numb, and I had to remove it (the strap, not the finger!). So I replaced that on the next ride with a thick hair band, and tried the same thing, thinking it would be less grippy.

Well, it WAS less grippy, and indeed fell off my gloved hand shortly after I started yesterdays ride. I did not notice at the time alas, and despite retracing my 'steps' haven't found it yet. Tried to order a new remote from company, which they don't sell separately, but they kindly offered to replace the whole kit, which was very kind of them. Thank you LULUWA !

I've been using this light on my helmet and it has a sensor to sense braking.  Has a lot of different color combos as well.  Definitely worth the money.  

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-MATE-Wireless-Motorcycle-Rechargeable/dp/B0948M2Y55/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=1W3TJ08TC2MKQ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.x8gJ-Laa9m4yRztKTct59a2lmLM_uMXqnyoeLflcAeIGrXjghHCakRR7BNkxCPkESkQa8dms_g95eBOIDGonxQ.9P2o-KV0YjAWizW7ovjs70T1re6YJGPxoArGQJJAf5A&dib_tag=se&keywords=helmet+tail+light&qid=1704983804&sprefix=helmet+tail+light%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-5

• 2 weeks later...