Should EUC Riders behave like cars?

I ride through downtown everyday, which is way nicer on an EUC than in a car. I typically avoid four lane roads and usually like to ride on roads that have a shoulder or bike lane so that I always have an, "out." Plus, I can filter to the front.

Sometimes I have seen EUC riders go through a red light and get honked at by the car driver stuck behind at the red light. Gotta say though, there's something about EUC riding that makes you just not want to dismount. 

I share a personal experience in this blog post

Of course, there will be more regulation in the future. What should EUC laws look like?

Attached here is a screenshot of a very risky maneuver by a NYC rider for your attention.

wheezyreckless2.png

• Like 1

The fact of being 1,5-2 tons lighter than a car and unprotected answers the question.

Behaving like a car might be deadly, as you mention in your blog.

Besides, this would take all the EUC advantages  and fun out of the equation. An EUC can travel fast on roads, but also with pedestrian speed on a sidewalk, as a bycicle on the bycicle lanes and take a shortcut through the park or even the grass. Going just about everywhere is the fun in it and if we must stop and do only bike lanes or roads with constant regulated speed, this would kill the attractiveness of it, at least for me.

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 2

I think you need to be more attentive than a car, and more reactive to conditions. Only because a car you have a little more room for error, a safe shell around you, a car will dent and be able to be panel beaten but you will not. 

You need to consider your position on the road more and things like driver conditions sun glare/weather, you are smaller than every other vehicle so you are hidden often. 

For me I'd be sticking to the most escapable part of the road, hopefully with a couple of options to escape if the cars started getting close. 

Also the idea of a cutout and instant momentum stop would mean you want more room between the car behind you. They wont expect a sudden stop and you could go under. 

Edited by Forwardnbak
  • Like 2