Pre-Ordered V14. Having Second Thoughts.

I ordered the V14 because I am a sucker for marketing hype and deals. I like Inmotion having come from the V8/10\14 models, but am wondering if I am jumping the gun with the V14 because I'm not that excited about it. Is it so much better than the V11? 

Seeking an EUC with: Stability (does tire size impact stability?), speed (I'm a slow rider but want flexibility should that change), ease of tire valve access, suspension, safety reputation, quality build and something I can ride as a 5' tall woman. Money's not an object. 

Waiting another year or two is also an option. I want to get it right next purchase. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 6:00 AM, Lillian said:

Waiting another year or two is also an option. I want to get it right next purchase. 

What wheel do you have at present? I would recommend the long ride trip with 20” tire category wheel, likewise, the short ride commuting with 16” tire category wheel. 

Larger tire defiantly let you feel comfortable and stability for a long ride, and you are able to sit ride very nice. Contrarily, smaller tire let you be agile when you commute in the city or you may carry the wheel to market or on the train. Therefore, I would recommend everyone should have two different size of wheel, a 20” and a 16” tire. 

V14 inmotion has the best performance amount the 16” tire category wheel at present. 

On 11/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, Lillian said:

Is it so much better than the V11? 

Too early to tell. But for sure the V14 would be more capable, and have better spec's than the V11.

If you want to buy now, I can recommend the Veteran Patton. I would like to include the Kingsong S19 too. Unfortunately, there is a risk of bad QC. Maybe a later batch would be OK. 

In any case, the Patton and the S19 are two of the better suspension wheels for riding around the city, and they are among the easiest wheels to ride. The suspension action on these two wheels are smooth, and refined, out of the box, especially the Patton.

The Patton is around 90 lbs. So if you need to lift the wheel, most of the capable suspension wheels are not light. However, when you are riding the Patton, you don't feel the weight. The S19 also feels light to ride. Between the two, if you are a heavy rider who aggressively climb, accelerate or brake, the Patton would be the stronger of the two.

I don't own a V11. And I only had a very brief ride on it going around a coned track in a parking lot. The V11 felt nice. But based on the design, spec's, and what owners have reported, I would say both the Patton and S19 have far superior suspension than the V11, and the Patton would be quite a bit more capable than the V11.

Regarding purchasing a batch 1, V14, I don't recommend it at the current time, because not enough is known about it. 

We have Zen Lee, and Gabe (Eevees), saying that they would rank the V14 behind the Patton. That is not a good sign to me. If you are interested in the V14, I would wait until owners have given their thoughts since you said you can afford to wait.

If you want to buy now, if I were you, I would get the Patton.

If not, and you can wait a bit, and then see how the later batches of the S19 unfolds.

Or wait longer for the V14's owners' posts and videos. and then deicide whether to pull the trigger or not.

For V14 it’s already a known small issue with batch 1 slider which causes the suspension stiffness, they will send out a small part to fix; it seems very silently at the moment for V14, only handful of reviews available; but I saw Lynx already rocking in many countries; any riders here have their V14 at hand and can share the thoughts?

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Don't see anyone posting their V14  impressions on Youtube. 

There aren't that many influencers who have reviewed the V14 yet.

I think it is too early.

I think these two review video as follow are impressed. What do you think? 

Climbing performance of V14 tested 
 https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/32663-inmotion-v14-adventure-a-new-trail-wheel-from-inmotion/?do=findComment&comment=494034

IP6 waterproofing of V14 motor tested
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/32663-inmotion-v14-adventure-a-new-trail-wheel-from-inmotion/?do=findComment&comment=494029

Edited by YCC

1 hour ago, YCC said:

I think these two review video as follow are impressed. What do you think? 

These are domestic promotional videos.

We saw the exact same thing with a bunch of other wheels including the S22.

As it turns out, they meant nothing.

Riding through deep water proofs nothing. 

As is the climbing video.

Jack actually did all those things with the S22 in China, and then when the S22 was released, bearings rusted easily, and no torque.

Bait and switch? Who knows.

We need to wait for the retail buyers to share their thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lillian said:

ordered the V14 because I am a sucker for marketing hype and deals. I like Inmotion having come from the V8/10\14 models, but am wondering if I am jumping the gun with the V14 because I'm not that excited about it. Is it so much better than the V11? 

The V14 is probably amazing. So what if you break the little plastic corners, you can replace those. If I had an Inmotion Adventure on the way, I would be so excited. The only wheel that's better would be the Lynx.

2 minutes ago, iwantmymtv said:

The V14 is probably amazing. So what if you break the little plastic corners, you can replace those. If I had an Inmotion Adventure on the way, I would be so excited. The only wheel that's better would be the Lynx.

Lynx is a 20” wheel, and V14 is a 16” wheel. I am of the opinion that these two wheels are made for difference occasion. Honestly, I don’t like to ride a 20” wheel in the city for commuting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iwantmymtv said:

I would be thrilled if I had an Inmotion Adventure on order,

That was what I thought on a lot of new wheels. But after a demo test, sometimes, I was brought back to reality. One example was the Commander Mini for me. It was priced so well at the time, and on paper it looked great. But after seeing in person and rode in a parking lot, I was completely turned off. On the other hand, I can't get enough of the Patton natural handling, and how light it felt. Also, I was blown away as how butter smooth the suspension of the Sherman S was.

I would wait and see; even better if it is possible to test ride the wheels in question. Sometimes, beauty is only skin deep. And at other times, you may be biased towards a certain riding characteristics. An example of this is that I have never owned nor liked how an OG Sherman rides. However, the OG Sherman is a very popular wheel that is liked by many. Also, it so happens that I don't naturally get on with the EX30. But apparently, many OG Sherman owners like the EX30.

The point is sometimes, it is hard to know whether you will like a wheel until you see it in person and ride it.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ex30 is the best wheel of 20 inch category, I have EX30 and ride above 1000KM with zero problem, and feel very comfortable when I have a long trip of 80KM. EX30 is able to ride above 120KM with 3600WH battery capacity, which I tested 40KM trip consumed 25% battery.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

The point is sometimes, it is hard to know whether you will like a wheel until you see it in person and ride it.

Very true, I am trying to let go of that 'forever wheel' mentality. I am quite attached to my Z10 though. I think the Inmotion V14 would be really fun for jumping and that turbo feeling. I know I would have a blast on the V14, I'm just afraid of breaking it. I had an Inmotion wheel before that I broke and got dents in my rim, V10F, so I do still have reservations about Inmotion product durablity. My V10F was a lot of fun though until it broke.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iwantmymtv said:

Very true, I am trying to let go of that 'forever wheel' mentality. I am quite attached to my Z10 though. I think the Inmotion V14 would be really fun for jumping and that turbo feeling. I know I would have a blast on the V14, I'm just afraid of breaking it. I had an Inmotion wheel before that I broke and got dents in my rim, V10F, so I do still have reservations about Inmotion product durablity. My V10F was a lot of fun though until it broke.

Not sure if you can go to a shop or demo rides and try out some wheels. The experience can give you a way better perspective in differentiating the differences in the wheels, than looking at spec's. Also, you will notice that you will have to adapt to the various wheels. You will know whether there is a wheel out there that you will like more than your Z10 once you have try some wheels.

For example, even though it was just rolling in a showroom, I know the Lynx is more premium and a better wheel to ride than the wheels I currently own. Having said that, for my use case, I still enjoy riding my S22 and Abrams. The Abrams gives me a favourable difference in riding experience than the 20" wheels. Actually, my V12 also can ride nicely, but I have to put in more concentration to ride because it is skittish due its 16" wheel compared to my 20" and 22" wheels. If all I ride are 16" wheels, then I may not notice.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming what I was already thinking about the Lynx. When I save up enough for a wheel, I'll likely get the Lynx. It would make longer rides a snap.

I don't think the V14 is really what OP was after, but it could be. Her boyfriend would probably love it, lol.

When these guys reviewed the V14 I think they ended up breaking it, too, but they had a blast.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing
  • Like 1

You are soooo fortunate to have a V14 and live in the bay area! You have to try out this trail in Pacifica:

and be sure to take pics and let us know how it went. That's the pacific ocean coastline down there. There are ton's of jumps in and around the top of that mountain. If I had a V14, I'd be up there riding around on that mountain all the time.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing
  • Like 1

From the latest information I got, batch 1 currently only has 2 issues found, slider not aligned caused the stiffness of suspension, which can be fixed easily with added spacer and re-aligned; the other one is add more glue to the motor cable to improve water resistance (might not count as an issue);

I saw the fixed slider V14 is very cushy and looking good; Inmotion sent out the spacer not sure if I can have it before Jan due to holidays;

for the range, for light weight rider less than 60kg I get 11.5 km with 10% battery usage, neibourhood street ride with some light hills max 47kph; so for my typical usage it might get over 100km;

New batch I think has been shipped out.

so it’s not too bad.

Merry Christmas and ride safe!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, Bungee5475 said:

I purchased one last week from Alien Rides and here are my initial thoughts:

- For city riding or if you need a lot of range, I recommend something else. Range is subpar, I don't think you'd get more than 40 miles (70km) on it riding at normal speeds 20-30mph (30-50kmh) given my initial estimates. Depends of course on your weight, tire pressure etc. The knobby tire is ok for street riding but there are better options/tires which would probably improve range as well. It's a 16 inch wheel but it's a heavy one. I come from a V12 so it took a couple of spills/falls to get a feel for the weight of the wheel. I feel much more comfortable now.

- For off-road/trails though it's amazing, it can go up or down anything. It can jump over anything, high drops are also ok. The suspension feels amazing to me and is fully adjustable. Despite the weight, it's nimble enough to ride narrow trails, especially thanks to its high pedals. I took it to one of the parks near me and it was an awesome experience. I'd actually never ridden on trails before but it made it so easy.

The motor is very powerful, smooth and torquey. The power delivery is also predictable.

I like how customizable the app is. I can make the settings adapt to my style of riding (acceleration, braking, pedal angle etc…).

When it comes to the wheel itself, I like the trolley handle (much better than v12 and v13 one), the stock power pads are really nice, kickstand is sturdy, lights are bright enough to be seen at night (but not really to see). body is a little plasticy though but all of the bits seem to be replaceable in case of a crash (they actually include replacement bumpers). I opted to stick the side panels with velcro instead of 3M tape for ease of repairs, potential battery replacement etc…

The charger is huge and only 3A though so it takes a while to charge so if you plan on riding a lot, I'd get a second/fast charger.

if you only plan on doing city riding only, I definitely don't recommend it. There are better, faster and cheaper wheels out there. But for light city riding and off-roading, I don't think there is anything better right now.

Oh and it's a LOT better than the V11 on pretty much every front.

Don't trust the youtube reviews. I rode a demo one before purchasing it and I immediately liked it. so if you get a chance to do that instead of watching reviews, I'd recommend it.

For power pads, you can install the panels, when doing repairing/tire changes, you can remove the paddle first then take off 2 batteries together without troubling to remove the power pad panels; 

also for the Sport/confort modes in the app, the technical differences is that, sililar to Begode Extreme when selected sport mode the motor makes a lot noise; sport mode combines the acceleration assist and breaking assist, will make the motor vibrate at low speed or standing ; not sure if it helps the ride with current firmware, but if you don’t want the vibration you can try use comfort mode;

• Like 1