V8F taking long time to "wake up" during a charge

rcgldr

When I first got my V8F in August 2021, it took only 2 seconds after connecting to charger before it "woke up" - beep and turn on the blue battery state of charge leds. Back in November, 2022, it was taking 18 seconds or longer to wake up, and it's steadily gotten worse. Now in November 2023, it's taking over 7 minutes (today it took 9 minutes) to wake up on a 3 amp charger, and it never wakes up on the stock 1.5 amp charger. it will communicate with the phone app (Inmotion or EUC World) within a few seconds of connecting the charger, and that it is charging immediately. It's the beep and turning on the blue LED bars that takes a long time after connecting to the charger. I keep the V8F stored indoors (in a outer entry way room) at 72F, and charge it there.

I made a video of the 18 second delay back in November 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQA9qsPnFlA

So far, this hasn't affected riding it.

Edited by rcgldr

strange problem! Once "awakened" with the 3A, if you plug in the original charger does it charge? Just after driving it works faster? If the wheel is on when you plug in the charger, it charges faster? (check in  app).You should check the charging cables in the wheel and in the battery, as well as the charging port.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:28 PM, v8nice said:

strange problem! 

I forgot to mention that it will communicate with the phone app (Inmotion or EUC World) within a few seconds of connecting the charger, and that it is charging immediately. It's the beep and turning on the blue LED bars that takes a long time after connecting to the charger. 

If it's been a few day since I've ridden, the initial battery resistance seems to be higher on the initial charge. The current is the same, but the charge voltage versus pack voltage is higher, so resistance is higher. After a small charge and a short ride, on the next charge the voltage difference is less. The pack may be getting old, but I ride conservatively, and have EUC World set to notify me if peak current exceeds 25 amps (fuse is 30 amps), and I rarely trigger it, and when I do, it's like 26.5 amps max, usually from going over a small bump while riding uphill.

On 11/25/2023 at 11:13 PM, v8nice said:

I regularly exceed 30A without blowing the fuse.

A 30A fuse is actually good for 33 amps. The amperage my V8F reports to EUC World is about 15% to 20% high, based on watt hours used up on a ride, and the smaller amount of watt hours used to charge the battery back to it's pre-ride state. As for blowing the fuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAEOnvDNaYw&t=740s

15 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Does the charger get warm (or fans starting) before "waking up"? If so, the wheel should be charging fine regardless.

I updated my original post.  It will communicate with the phone app (Inmotion or EUC World) within a few seconds of connecting the charger, and that it is charging immediately. It's the beep and turning on the blue LED bars that takes a long time after connecting to the charger. 

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

It's strange but not a problem then. That's better than the other way around. :D

If it was always that way, I wouldn't be concerned. But when new there was no delay, about a year later 20 second delay, now 7 minute delay, so something is changing | degrading on my V8F. At another forum a rider replied his V10F has the same issue (taking longer to wake up over time), but on his V10F, the delay goes away at around 22° C, while on my V8F, it needs to be around 27° C.