How should I dispose of a destroyed EUC?

nhatxart

On 10/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, Asphalt said:

Hello. I am the guy who's Kingsong S18 went up in flames (rip). My question is what do I do with it now? How should I dispose of it?

Remove if not allowed please.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

After a pack fire, there remains a hazard for cobalt-type Lithium-ion cells, that some of the 60 cells in the EUC did not rupture during the fire and still contain stored energy. 

I recommend physically separating the cells from the rest of the EUC. 
Wear gloves and safety glasses. Work outdoors and away from any flammable objects. Keep a garden hose or large bucket of water nearby while working. 
Pry things apart until you've found all the cells.

The rest of the EUC is just e-waste that contains lead (Pb) solder. Dispose of it the same way you would an old computer monitor. In USA, most counties have e-waste recycling programs, to keep the lead controlled. 

Cells that have ruptured and burned are low-risk now; cells that are still intact are more concerning. If you find any intact cells, I suggest checking their voltages individually with a multimeter. Any cells above 2V can be discharged simply by immersing them in salty water, leaving them immersed outdoors for one full week. Electrolysis with table salt will release a small amount of chlorine gas, so outdoors only please! Afterwards, pour out the dirty water into your toilet sewer, not the lawn or storm drain. 

After all cells are discharged or inert, it's e-waste like the rest of the machine. Still, avoid storing the damaged cells indoors. 

• Thanks 1