V14 Adventure Waterproof test Begode A2 style!

skunkmonkey

its a good testimony to its water resistant rating, but i would never submerge my euc in a body of water, no way... and if the thing is using cheap bearings,  then you may have a convenient excuse to replace your rusted bearings with better sealed stainless versions... at a cost though...

• Like 1

Yeah it will be interesting to see what that guy says on his channel days or weeks from now. InMotion only claims IPX5 waterproofing on the Raptor controller, so there's no way it would handle being submerged, and that's even if InMotion paid for 3rd party waterproofing testing. They only claim that the motor and batteries are waterproof, which I imagine is why he didn't completely submerge the unit.

• Like 2

I for one would not want to pay a lot of the cost of a wheel so that it can be submerged. I only need the wheel to be able to be ridden in the rain without taking damage, like a motorcycle. You can't submerge a car or a motorcycle or a truck for that matter without very serious damage. You can't even submerge most motorized boats. Unless it is built to be something like a submarine, why the hell would you want to pay for the kind of waterproofing that allows the device to be submerged.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, techyiam said:

why the hell would you want to pay for the kind of waterproofing that allows the device to be submerged

I think it's more about proving whether it's truly waterproof or not as opposed to whether it can be submerged. Waterproofing itself is actually very cheap, and I don't know why all EUC companies don't do at least some waterproofing on all of their EUC's.

IE: They can add a rubber seal to the controller casing, and construct the casing such that the top of the casing completely overlaps the sides since water doesn't run uphill, rain won't get in. They can just add copious amounts of marine grease to the bearings. They can wrap the battery packs in waterproof containers, etc.

The only real expense with waterproofing is getting an official IPX rating, which apparently, from what YouTube influencers have claimed on their channels, none of the EUC companies actually do. According to them, InMotion just arbitrarily makes a waterproofing claim using the IPX scale, and probably does their own in-house testing rather than paying for IPX certification. They use the V11 as an example, where InMotion claims it's IPX5, but people that have broken it down have found zero waterproofing.

10 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

They use the V11 as an example, where InMotion claims it's IPX5, but people that have broken it down have found zero waterproofing.

There is plenty of waterproofing techniques involved in the v11. They utilize the same overlap tight tolerance cover design as you mention along with molded rubber seals on all the wire penetrations  that are held in place and compressed by the cover. They also include a exterior bearing pre-seal with a layer of grease before the actual seal. I ride mine year round. about 2000 miles on it now. rain/snow/sleet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skunkmonkey said:

Waterproofing itself is actually very cheap, and I don't know why all EUC companies don't do at least some waterproofing on all of their EUC's.

Waterproofing for a vehicle can be quite costly if it needs to be submerged to a decent depth for hours on end. And to make waterproofing durable and to have the vehicle easily serviceable is not cheap either. 

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

There is plenty of waterproofing techniques involved in the v11. They utilize the same overlap tight tolerance cover design as you mention along with molded rubber seals on all the wire penetrations  that are held in place and compressed by the cover. They also include a exterior bearing pre-seal with a layer of grease before the actual seal. I ride mine year round. about 2000 miles on it now. rain/snow/sleet

Thanks, that’s great to hear as I was getting a little concerned about my v11. I haven’t broken it down myself yet, so I have to just trust what others say. It’s a little frustrating when there’s conflicting information posted everywhere. Maybe the influencer was just trying to push Begode since that’s what he gets kickbacks for, or maybe he was misinformed,

• Like 1