rim bending

RhoadsNRoses82

I've never had a bent rim before, and i just noticed on my V11 that on one side the rim is slightly bent.  I dont do any offroading...barely ever even drop off curbs, although i have done that a few times, just not big ones. My question is does the rim typically bend only on one side like this? Or should it be on both sides? And how else could it have happened? I don't ride this wheel hard, just often max out the speed

PXL_20230914_185645878.jpg

• Like 1

I have two bad dents in my v11 rim as well. Four actually as they’re on both sides……. It seems to depend on what and how you hit something.
I’m fairly sure I got one when I nailed a sunken pothole at high speed (lucky I didn’t cutout). Some people bend the rims back depending on how severe the dent is. I think I need to replace my rim. 😭 I’m currently riding a Sherman S and I haven’t fixed the v11 yet. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EF95 said:

My question is does the rim typically bend only on one side like this?

only if you strike something on that side of the rim only, like swerving to miss a pothole and just clipping it. I can see by the shock sliders you have clipped a few things on that side. The clearance on the v11 slides sucks for sure. what tire pressure are you running?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EF95 said:

My question is does the rim typically bend only on one side like this?

How the rim hits something is all down to you, including tire psi. For a long time I struggled with steering, the wheel seemed to always lean to one side. I'm not very bright and took a long time to realise that it was because of the limited movement in my left foot / ankle (motorcycle injury). Then I noticed the tire is more worn on that side too. Now I consciously compensate for this to try and keep a relatively even pressure on both sides of the wheel, and the wheel is mostly straight. I also noticed this while practicing bunny hops - I'd come down skewed. Played with foot position and pressure on each side (bend one leg a bit more, straighten the other leg a bit more) till I was landing straight. You might also see this in your tight turns - you can turn tighter on one side.

Edited by Uras

7 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

only if you strike something on that side of the rim only, like swerving to miss a pothole and just clipping it. I can see by the shock sliders you have clipped a few things on that side. The clearance on the v11 slides sucks for sure. what tire pressure are you running?

i guess in that case you mean something directly hit the rim rather than first compressing the tire. i hadn't thought about that. maybe if i clipped the rim directly on to a jagged part of a pot hole or somethin. cuz i dont do offroading, and only dropped off a few curbs. i usually rode at 27-30 psi. the other day i randomly decided to pump it up to 38, and ironically after coming back from that ride is when i noticed this rim damage, but i'm guessing it must've been a coincidence. i went back to 30 psi cuz riding on 38 felt way less stable

• Like 1