Chess coach from Georgia discusses the Scotch opening

Bob Eisenman

So....following a Dec 2020 ebike)/vehicle collision a foot surgery in March 2021 took place and I left the active ride experience of 18,000 miles of euc' travels for a new and slower perspective on life. The surgical treatment involved inserting various metallic things into the foot bones and fusing several. The result is that I no longer walk with flex, ache free stamina, agility or speed as before the accident.

To fill the time recuperating I have played hundreds of online chess games (900+ on chess.com and 480+ on LiChess), walking when the foot feels good and plucking the strings of a guitar. If you follow chess a 500 ranked chess player is a beginner and a goal of reaching 700 has fallen short after a few brief instances of a 600+ rating.

LiChess (free alternative to chess.com premium membership) has a ranking system which differs numerically and I'm at 900 or so there.

Sometimes I play without using a login id and two anonymous players face each other. 

I've watched a lot of chess streamers like GothamChess, GMCanty, Dina Belenkaya, Alessia Santeramo, Botez sisters and a few more. 

'Seeing' the chess game unfold  is important since anticipating your opponent's moves determines what to play next in many moves. Aimchess coaches the 'check, captures and threats' system of looking at the game and deciding what to play next in a chess match.

Aside from ethnically being part Scotch (my Dad's mother immigrated from Scotland around 1913), the Scotch opening is a frequently played chess opening and is described in three parts by this FIDE master/coach from Georgia (not the south of the border US Georgia).

The accent of the coach/FIDE master adds to the fun of the video. I've played a couple of Scotch openings with some success recently but the middle game and end game performance counts strongly in reaching a win.

Even the best players have challenging chess encounters like Dina Belenkaya's recently posted match against a younger male player who outplayed her several times and called her 'old and slow'.

So while most of you EUC forum readers are on the verge of your next EUC ride (or purchase) the chances are that I'll be sitting down somewhere reading news on the laptop, watching streamers online, or be out walking. When the time seems right I'll play some online chess maybe even using the Scotch opening with tips from the chess coach from Georgia.

I'm often a slow player (in 10 minutes rapid games) timewise. Playing anonymously as black I won this game by checkmate with 12 seconds left on my clock.

https://www.chess.com/analysis/library/2DJ7CA8hwL?tab=analysis

• Like 1