My new IdeaPad 3 - a Chinese laptop with an odd 1st reboot experience

Bob Eisenman

So...I'm listening to a Yohan Kim and Friends concert video on YouTube on a new Lenovo laptop. Earlier I asked Alexa to read me the news. An new Windows app called 'phone link' allows me to use my Android phone from my desktop (an Apple feature enjoyed by Mac community users with iPhones).

My 1st reboot laptop experience with it did not go as expected.

The new purchase was marked down in price at MicroCenter Boston to an attractive price point.

At home I booted the laptop and entered the standard stuff (name, EST time zone entry, password creation, etc).

I rebooted the laptop.

My reboot produced a black screen with a touchpad responsive white arrow.

I queried Google and found that black screen was a typical Windows 11 problem fixed by a variety of approaches. I think I rebooted again (Google searched for keyboard reboot method) and then the expected login screen appeared.

At the login screen my password entry led me to the desktop where I found my touchpad clicks (and later wireless mouse) did not effect numerous desktop panels. My time in the date/time display was off by several hours. Right clicking the calendar (date/time) produced a clickable but non-responsive choice.

I was unable to use the touchpad to access features like display settings.

A Google search and YouTube search provided the clue to 'restart Windows Explorer' a searchable Windows 11 problem. Using a keyboard sequence to bring up tasks I was able to 'restart Windows Explorer'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eiGk8xKUfkNRFimWu1h58ojTqmmJxb0w/view?usp=drivesdk

The touchpad /mouse problems with unresponsive clicked panels disappeared. Now the date/time panel obtained with right clicking led to the appropriate screens and selectable choices.

Lots of downloads of updates followed, the graphics display took on less of a pastel look. Sharper/bolder desktop colors followed and life was good again for the laptop's owner.

My guess.....is that the distributed Microsoft Windows 11 OS software to manufacturers of various hardware configurations led to the rare instance of an imperfect 'user experience'.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Haha 1