First wheel after using KS16X

Hello, I’ve been using a borrowed ks16x for the past couple weeks. I’m at the point where riding feels very natural and pushing it near the wheel’s top speed is easy and fun.

I was originally planning to buy a similar wheel, but after these two weeks I’m left wanting more. I don’t really need more as the main purpose of the wheel would be to commute in and around my college campus, but higher speeds seem fun to do on isolated roads, there are some nice trails within <10 miles of campus, and there’s more nice places to go and ride over 10 miles away.

I found a really great deal on an OG Sherman which I was about to purchase, but I started looking more into the new suspension wheels coming out, more specifically the begode extreme and the commander mini, which are within my budget when purchased from eucdeals. They are still quite a bit more than the sherman I’m looking at, but it’s compelling enough that price is less of a concern.

I honestly think the sherman is the sensible choice here since I’ll be saving money and I don’t necessarily need a brand new wheel (I doubt this would happen but if I wasn’t watching closely enough and my brand new wheel got stolen, which happens to a lot of the bikes on campus, I would be devastated), but I can’t stop thinking about if suspension is the way to go, especially when on these powerful smaller diameter wheels that seemingly zip around.

When I drop off curbs with the ks16x I feel my whole body rattle and my brain shaking in my skull. It’s not super pleasant and probably not good for me in the long term. Similar sensations when I ride on grass. If I go ride on those trails, the suspension would be very nice, but also I definitely won’t have the time to do it often, and even when I do I might have range anxiety- I’m just so torn with this decision.

If anyone can provide some input that would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

If you like jumping then go with a hollow motor. Otherwise you'll end up breaking an axle.

I prefer the low maintenance axle type motors, but then again I avoid jumping because of that.

Suspension adds a bit of weight that won't result in any added range. It also usually requires maintenance. Decide if you need that or not because it will determine your selection of wheels. As you mentioned, going non suspension saves money.

The middle ground to suspension is to pick a wheel with a fat 3in tire and a generous diameter like 18-20in. The drawback is a bit less torque and it requires more rider input to acc/brake. Not a great feeling if you're riding in close proximity to other vehicles or obstacles. Power pads are 100% required and makes the wheel larger and bulkier. This isn't the case on 16in wheels.

The modern best of all worlds could be a 16in suspension wheel. T4, Patton, Extreme, Com Mini, buy it'll cost you. Suspension technologies vary greatly. 

The Sherman is a great choice if you can accept no suspension. Not as zippy as a 16in and it will require fiddling with pads but after that you can ride it for tens of thousands of miles. A workhorse so to speak. It's nice to have a dependable wheel .

Edited by alcatraz

16 hours ago, alcatraz said:

If you like jumping then go with a hollow motor. Otherwise you'll end up breaking an axle.

I prefer the low maintenance axle type motors, but then again I avoid jumping because of that.

Suspension adds a bit of weight that won't result in any added range. It also usually requires maintenance. Decide if you need that or not because it will determine your selection of wheels. As you mentioned, going non suspension saves money.

The middle ground to suspension is to pick a wheel with a fat 3in tire and a generous diameter like 18-20in. The drawback is a bit less torque and it requires more rider input to acc/brake. Not a great feeling if you're riding in close proximity to other vehicles or obstacles. Power pads are 100% required and makes the wheel larger and bulkier. This isn't the case on 16in wheels.

The modern best of all worlds could be a 16in suspension wheel. T4, Patton, Extreme, Com Mini, buy it'll cost you. Suspension technologies vary greatly. 

The Sherman is a great choice if you can accept no suspension. Not as zippy as a 16in and it will require fiddling with pads but after that you can ride it for tens of thousands of miles. A workhorse so to speak. It's nice to have a dependable wheel .

Thank you, this is some good input. I won’t be doing jumps but I will be dropping off some curbs and maybe try going down some steps, hoping the sherman rim will be okay. I think I’ll get one of those 16 inch suspension wheels once they’ve been out for slightly longer and I feel more confident in my rider skill as to upgrade without feeling “privileged.”

• 3 weeks later...

I went from a 16X to a RS19HS to a Master in a year's time. There are things I like about all the wheels, but it is hard to give up suspension one you try it.  Even on the road, there are lots of bumps, roots, holes, debris, and other things that will give your knees a workout. For that, suspension rules.

I still really like the 16X and RS19, but as soon as I start hitting bumps in the road or dropping off curbs, I am saying to myself how nice it would be to be on my Master.

I would try to find other's in your area that have different wheels, and trying them out before you make the commitment. You may find you like the Sherman-S over the Sherman. or like the acceleration and speed of the higher end Begode wheels. I first rode a friends V11 and loved the way the suspension smoothed out the ride so much, I knew I would be looking for a suspension wheel for my next one.  Then, I thought about how much I loved the acceleration of the 16X, but wanted more speed or a buffer to reduce the chance of a cutout.  To me, the Master was the best of everything I was looking for. Sure there are other wheels with higher speed or better suspension, or longer range, but the Master hit everything I was looking for in a single wheel for the weight. 

There is quite a bit of maintenance with suspension wheels, but to me, it is worth it. 

I can see, after riding for a couple of years, the need for different wheels for different types of riding.  For off road, I have my Master.  For on road, I am looking to fill the gap with a longer range wheel, with ok suspension, and a higher sustained top speed.  I would compromise suspension for speed and range as it would be geared for the road and not off road riding, but would be sufficient for absorbing the bumps and holes I may encounter. The Master has the speed, but not sustained as it pulls the battery down very quickly. I can easily drop the charge 20% in 5 minutes or riding the Master above 45mph.

I am not an advocate for any wheel or manufacturer, but I find I like to have control over my wheel and how it preforms or how safe it is. I see it as Begode gives you a wheel and says it is up to you to determine how you want to control the power and safety, while Inmotion and Kingson, control it for you.  You can make a Begode wheel safe or you can set it up and ride it till it puts you on your face.  It is the riders choice, but the manufacture's. 

I do really like the 16X, but can't stand hearing the audio warnings and lack of user controls. I still think the 16X could have been great if it had some suspension and a little more speed.

It is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of others.