V10F stem tapping

Michael Littman

Thanks for the reply! So, I bought the unicycle from EUCO and all the replacement tubes come from there, too.

Wheel: https://www.euco.us/products/inmotion-v10-electric-unicycle

Tube: https://www.euco.us/products/v10-tire-tube-16-x-2-5

I see tubes available on Amazon as well, but that seemed more risky (!).

4 hours ago, Michael Littman said:

I bought the unicycle from EUCO and all the replacement tubes come from there, too.

Interesting, certainly looks correct in the picture. I've noticed EUC tubes are angled so they lay flat along the rim and don't stick out. Unfortunately, i don't have the v10 only the 5f,11 and 13 so i cant speak to what it would be hitting on.

8 hours ago, Michael Littman said:

Like I put in the tube backwards somehow?

It shouldn't be sticking out enough to hit on anything no matter which way you put it in. It should lay along the rim and you should have to grab it an pull it away from the rim to put air in it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Right, I think I understand that it should lay along the rim, but it's not. (Would it help if I sent a picture?) I kept the original tube (and the others I've installed) and the stems all look the same to me. (I could send a picture of that, too.) So, two different stems that look the same ended up sticking out very differently. I'm hoping that either (1) there's a suggestion for how I could reinstall it so it lays correctly or (2) a work-around like bending or securing it so it's safe.

I experienced the same tapping of the valve stem against the chassis after changing out my V10f tire tube.  I believe it was aftermarket, as the original OEM tube has the properly angled stem.

I guess you could possibly shim the valve stem with a couple of washers before putting the stem into the wheel rim hole.

What I did on mine is glue washers, 8 of them in all, over top of the axle bolt holes and slip the chassis back over the shims, essentially splaying out the chassis so it doesn't hit the valve stem anymore.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, Michael Littman said:

it should lay along the rim, but it's not. (Would it help if I sent a picture?

That would be great, The stem in addition to being angled. Has to be angled in the correct direction so lays along the rim. So when the tube is inflated the angled stem is almost pointing back at the tube itself like in the picture ,not away from it.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay, here's a picture of the stem that is tapping:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RgyYrDGqdeVbqoJIK-BvlAfO2nDhzDSH/view?usp=sharing

Here's a picture of the stems of the three other tubes I've bought so far. To my eye, they are identical, yet one of them fit perfectly with no tapping:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PT1SC0m00dj4LRV7ljOa5YZHXRP9zB1s/view?usp=sharing .

1 hour ago, Michael Littman said:

here's a picture of the stem that is tapping

By the looks of that stem, it seems the tube moved slightly on you during assembly so instead of doing 90° its doing like 50°. I would suggest deflating the tube fully and breaking the tire bead on both sides of the rim, then holding the rim and rotating the tire/tube every so slightly while pulling on the stem back into position so the stem is facing 90°.  You wont have to move it much maybe 1/2" or so

stem23.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Michael Littman said:

tread is the best way to move the tube?

Yes, that is what i was thinking. I wouldn't take the wheel apart, just break the bead of the tire on both sides, you can use a little dish soap and water around the bead to make it easy to slide without compromising the bead grip afterwards.

• Like 1

I also had that "stem" tapping annoying noise. Doh mine where only happening while riding forwards and turning right. (Why only forwards and only when turning right you may ask.) Because my stem where coming out right side and angled. (It wasn't hitting the case - in my case.) :D

I was searching 1 week where the noise where coming. I even disassemble all wheel/motor itself. At the end i found out it was the dumb VALVE STEM. But guess what was the most amazing part where the noise was coming from? You would never guess where the sound was coming from....

It was the RIM HOLE!!! Yes the 1-2mm gap where the valve stem comes out from rim, where enough space to make a clicking noise each time tire did one full circle while riding and turning right.  (My guess each time that part where valve comes out gets compressed under rider weight and when leaving ground area - it would "spring" back making that clicking noise.) How i fixed it? I simply added heat-shrink over the valve stem, making it more "snug" fit into rim hole. Ta-Da.. No more noise...

Who would ever thought that 1-2mm gap in rim hole where the problem. :D 

Edited by Funky