EUC covers and overheating, etc.

2disbetter

Hello fellow EUC riders, 

I am curious if there are any known negatives to putting a cover on an EUC. My main fear is that it somehow lessens the amount of cooling to the batteries and mainboards. 

I have seen no discussion on this and I thought it would be good to put this question out to the community and see what the feedback is. 

My personal experience is that I had a cover on my V12 HT and left it on leaving up against my wall in the house. The wheel was on but not moving for about 4 hours. When I came back the wheel was very hot. The board temps on the display said that it was at 67 degrees Celsius. 4 weeks later my driver board failed entirely at speed, rocketing me into the ground, resulting in a broken shoulder. 

I don't know if the heat is responsible for the ensuing failure or not, but I know in the world of electronics, heat is generally the enemy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

I have seen no discussion on this and I thought it would be good to put this question out to the community and see what the feedback is. 

Oh there has been discussion, but it is widely distributed between various threads...

Cool air moving over mainboard heatsinks is essential in most EUC designs, and leaving a wheel on and stationary in very hot ambient temps, or in open sunlight is not a good idea at the best of times, because, unless it happens to be parked somewhere very windy, there will be no air moving over the machine so its mainboard temp can rise much more than would be ideal, even though the wheel is hardly under much stress when stationary.

Predictably, covering the wheel exacerbates that problem if the covers are either blocking open holes in the framework of the wheel through which air would normally circulate, or are thick enough to prevent normal heat dissipation through the standard surfaces. I would say it is less important to batteries than to mainboard that things remain within sensible temperature gradients.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I'm surprised Inmotion doesn't have a timeout setting to shut down the wheel when not in operation?

Leaving it running and discharging energy (balancing) while there is no airflow is certainly not ideal but 67C should be within an acceptable operating range (<70C) normally; however I have to note ewheels says the motherboard has been recently upgraded for "better thermal stability". My 2c, Inmotion has a history of motherboard related failures from what I've seen on the various forums. I would get the upgraded board if possible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, level9 said:

I'm surprised Inmotion doesn't have a timeout setting to shut down the wheel when not in operation?

Leaving it running and discharging energy (balancing) while there is no airflow is certainly not ideal but 67C should be within an acceptable operating range (<70C) normally; however I have to note ewheels says the motherboard has been recently upgraded for "better thermal stability". My 2c, Inmotion has a history of motherboard related failures from what I've seen on the various forums. I would get the upgraded board if possible.

They've sent me a new driver board, AND I bought another discounted V12 HT because I question the integrity of the one I bought. The one I had initially was only 2 months old. This new one has different pedal patterns and seems like it is a different manufacturing batch. 

I am hoping that it was just a fluke. Breaking my shoulder really shook my confidence. I'm slowing gaining it back. The V12 HT is a great wheel outside of all of this. It hits a near perfect size and weight for me, to be ultra practical. I am hoping that I don't have any other issues, but I'm also trying to really understand what happened to the old board and why. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

They've sent me a new driver board, AND I bought another discounted V12 HT because I question the integrity of the one I bought. The one I had initially was only 2 months old. This new one has different pedal patterns and seems like it is a different manufacturing batch. 

I am hoping that it was just a fluke. Breaking my shoulder really shook my confidence. I'm slowing gaining it back. The V12 HT is a great wheel outside of all of this. It hits a near perfect size and weight for me, to be ultra practical. I am hoping that I don't have any other issues, but I'm also trying to really understand what happened to the old board and why. 

Personally I'd check with ewheels and confirm the board revision(s) you have are those with the latest updates. It's not worth the health risk...
Hope isn't an advisable strategy ;)

• Like 1