04/23/2023 300 Mile Review for Ninebot Z10 (a joy to ride, satisfying, and long learning curve, stays interesting)

woke rider

300 Mile Review for Ninebot Z10 (a joy to ride, satisfying, and long learning curve, stays interesting)

04/23/2023

I have been riding my Z10 since the end of September 2022, so about 6 months to get to 300 miles. When I fist got my new wheel it was very frustrating because it wouldn't go faster than 1KM/HR without the alarm going off and I was to excited to really understand the app. I was overly confident about the big fat tire not getting a flat, and it was extremely vulnerable to goat-heads and I got a flat on the 3rd day of riding. Then I had to wait for the special slime and tools from Amazon.

Thankfully, I found Marty Backe's tutorial on how to slime my wheel with the correct kind of slime. I have kept my wheel at 40 psi ever since. I'd lower it down to 34psi but I'm concerned about getting flats again or a dented rim. I had an Inmotion V10F that got dents really easy so I'm perhaps overly cautious. I really enjoyed my V10F too, but I was really hard on it and I broke it. I don't think V10f was really made for doing jumps and curb hops and stuff. It's a shame because if I had known how easy it is to break, I wouldn't have tried to get all agro on it and kept the psi up to 40 psi at all times.

I learned how to ride on my King Song 14D, a somewhat painful experience because I was so excited to have an EUC that I just would jump on and try to go. I actually cracked the inner frame on a crash and the outer screws no longer hold, So I tape the outer shells together and I padded and taped it all up. I actually really like having my old King Song because the riding experience is so much different than the Z10, and having learned how to ride on the Z10 in way that I alternate either leg as my dominant has given me a lot of control and a new found ambi-dexterious riding style. So, when I switch back to the 14D it's really a blast to ride.

I have crashed my Z10 pretty hard in the snow and ice and asphalt, but the it's really tough. I broke the charging port cover on my first crash. And now it no longer attaches properly. I haven't used the app very much at all. When I tried to connect the app to my Z10 the app would not longer accept the 6 digit wheel code, which was really frustrating because I knew I didn't forget my code. Finally I contacted Ninebot for help with this. At first I was concerned that their customer service would be sketchy, but it wasn't. With one tap on the app I was chatting with a live representative within seconds. Then 2 days later Ninebot emailed me the secret instructions on how to reset the Z10. It's a shame that Ninebot doesn't treat the dealers good, but treats the customers very well. At least that was my experience.

I am still learning how to ride the Z10, even after 6 months and 300 miles. When I get up the courage to reduce the tire pressure and go faster that 18mph I expect to be riding on a new level. I know that it's not a suspension wheel, but that big fat tire is bound to absorb a lot of bumps once I lower the PSI. I would highly recommend the Z10 to anyone, and I also had really good experiences with my King Song 14D and my Inmotion V10F, I just wish I was more gentle with it because of my dented rim and breaking it by doing jumps.

I truly believe that the Z10 was way ahead of it's time. Honestly, I do yearn to compare it to the Veteran Patton, which is a $3000. It's kind of ugly, but it looks like an amazing wheel to be able to climb basically straight up and take such a hard crash test. There is always something new coming out which is frustrating, maybe someday I'll get to try the Sherman Patton, that would be fun.

Edited by earthtwin
  • Like 2