V12 HT waterproofing / resealing

kriskova

Hi guys!

I'm a newbie in the EUC word. I just got my V12 HT 2 weeks ago. I love it so far but I managed to tear the inner tube next to the valve by riding with a too low pressure. I had to change the tube. During disassembly I had to disconnect the motor connectors which are protected by a rubber cap. The cables go through this rubber cap and the holes on the cap are sealed with some black rubber like material. I'm still waiting for the inner tube but once I reassemble the wheel I want to make sure that it is at least as well sealed as it was. Does anyone know what this material is or what else should I use to have the same effect?

v12ht_rubber_cap.jpg

Edited by kriskova

You could use silicone sealer if you like during reassembly to seal the boot.

I just left mine as is without resealing.

I would worry more about the hall sensor wires and connector since they are small wires compared to the 3 motor wires.

Take your time when connecting or disconnecting the hall sensor wires and connector to ensure they are not damaged, and the connection is secured.

Take your time during reassembly of the top cover to ensure no wires are squished and are properly connected.

You may also want to use alcohol or contact cleaner to clean the motor wire connectors prior to plugging them back into the controller board.

Hi @Paul A!

Yes, this was purchased brand new. I was surprised first as well but looking at other parts of the wheel you can tell that there are many manual tasks done in every part of the wheel. I don't think it is bad though. You can see similar seals in multiple places. It does not look 'clean' but it had a good amount of sealant. I just don't really know what is that material.

Just an update for the magnified pictures: When I opened up the shell, the cables and the rubber cap was sealed together correctly. It was me pulling out the cables and tearing the seal apart.

Edited by kriskova

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

You could use silicone sealer if you like during reassembly to seal the boot.

I just left mine as is without resealing.

I would worry more about the hall sensor wires and connector since they are small wires compared to the 3 motor wires.

Take your time when connecting or disconnecting the hall sensor wires and connector to ensure they are not damaged, and the connection is secured.

Take your time during reassembly of the top cover to ensure no wires are squished and are properly connected.

You may also want to use alcohol or contact cleaner to clean the motor wire connectors prior to plugging them back into the controller board.

Hey @techyiam!

Thanks for the good advices! I'll make sure to follow them. I'll post an update on how it went.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Am a bit surprised at the pictures of a new wheel with cables like that.

Someone will reply soon with a safe solution.

Didn't you own a V12 too. Did you not open it up to swap out the driver board? It would look exactly the same as his.

Nothing wrong. 

8 hours ago, kriskova said:

black rubber like material

Looks like black RTV silicone to me. Yes definitely seal it upon re-assembly. It is sealed for a reason.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/61662342?gclsrc=ds&msclkid=8239c2dfe1e912ad1169a162349e3fcc&product_id=61662342&rd=k&pcrid=-99&mkwid=s|dc&cid=ppc-google-

• Like 1

Hey guys!

I managed to reseal and reassemble the wheel. I ended up using Mannol RTV BLUE (http://sct.autodevel.com/en/?action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=9915 RTV Adhesive Sealant Blue) for the resealing because that was easiest RTV to grab for me. I did 20kms with it and everything is working fine. Thanks everyone for the support!

• Like 1