Cracked plastic around main case bolt holes

Crowheel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NGLiffBAvmZLZAR6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qx3pdi7EsBP2PFsd6

I bought used Sherman one year ago. Since then i mange to get 20 000 km.

Yesterday i was going to do some inspection since i returned from a looking adventure and find out that all the plastic around bolts that holds the case with hangers is cracked around every bolt.

This is a big problem for me since i make deliverys with well and ofcours IAM scared to work like this.

Today i bought some epoxy glue and iam planing to cover all of this damage on both sides with it. 

I am interested did someone had same problem and how to fix that without buying new shell?

Thanks guys!

Edited by Crowheel

On 10/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, Crowheel said:

I am interested did someone had same problem and how to fix that without buying new shell?

Thanks guys!

yes I’ve come across this issue in the past and repaired it with jb plastic weld. Since then, I now reinforce all my shells with fiberglass around the pedal hanger area. There is also a plastic welding method that I haven’t tried but have seen done on yt with good success for repairing cracked shells. 

As for the jb weld method. Remove your motor from the shell as you will need access to the back of the damaged area. Tape off the cracked area with painters tape, keeping the shape you want to mold. Make sure you cover the bolt hole with tape was well. Once everything is taped up turn the wheel over so you can pour a nice thick amount of the jb plastic weld into the casting mold you have created. Let the jb weld fully cure over night. Once cured remove tape and inspect repair. If all good take a drill bit and make a new bolt hole by spinning the bit by hand. Why by hand? Less likely to induce a stress crack while drilling.
After that reassemble. 

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN pedal hanger screws it’s a common mistake people make. Spin them until snug and go just go the width of 1 flat on the Allen key more, THATS IT! 

Also DO NOT get any lock tight on the plastic shell itself. It eats away at the shell creating the very problem you have just fixed. 

Good luck

Just a heads up, post repair questions in the mod/repair section. A lot of guys (including myself) patrol that area and can offer help pretty quick. 

Edited by Mayhem