Inmotion Leadership Change?

sunstrong

Well, after following the V13 launch, following the updates on V12/V11 quality issues, and looking into the company more, I found that the CEO changed in between the launch of V11 and now. I can't find V11 / V12 launch videos and I just got into EUCs this year so I'm not sure. And I really can't find any more info about this.

Speculations: could this have contributed to the QC issues we're seeing with the batches of Inmotion products in the past year? Or were the issues one of the causes for the change of leadership? Is there more change than just the CEO? I think the leadership team of a company can have a great impact on the direction a company is going. Any thoughts or more info on this?

More background: I really like Inmotion's design, concern for safety and features on their wheels. But it seems like the new ones also have the most problems. Considering their initial struggles of the V13 launch stream, the latest embarrassing tire change video, they appear less and less trustworthy. Made me think, might as well go with Begode T4 instead of V12 as my second wheel, at least it's a simple design, I know what I'm getting into.

• Like 2

That's an interesting observation. Though, FWIW the V11 wasn't free of QC issues either; perhaps not as bad as what we saw with the V12. I think it's worth mentioning that the most of the other manufacturers have also had their share of failures for the wheels they released this year. The V12 (IM), S22 (KS), and Abrams (VT) have all had cutout issues as well as plenty of others ranging from cheap materials that break easily to full-on spontaneous combustion. Meanwhile, the several new Gotway/Begode/Extreme Bull wheel releases this year so far have been relatively smooth and uneventful. We'll have to see once their arguably most-anticipated wheel this year, the Master, ships but it's been a weird turn of events in terms quality. Pretty disappointing to be honest to see these brands known for their quality dropping the ball only for the safety-pariah we know as Gotway/Begode/EB to seemingly have pick it up. I can't say I trust them yet but my trust in the other manufacturers has definitely taken a hit. I hope IM can make a clean release out of the V13.

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

Does that mean the ten thousand dollars plus euc is off the table?

Who knows, but they say V13 is supposed to be a demonstration for what Inmotion CAN do, which kinda aligns with "what the 10000 EUC is supposed to be". Is 5000 actually the upper limit here? Lol. But it is very likely there has been a direction change, there could have been problems and chaos inside the company. It might actually be a factor why the V13 was delayed so much.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, Spaghetteh said:

That's an interesting observation. Though, FWIW the V11 wasn't free of QC issues either; perhaps not as bad as what we saw with the V12. I think it's worth mentioning that the most of the other manufacturers have also had their share of failures for the wheels they released this year. The V12 (IM), S22 (KS), and Abrams (VT) have all had cutout issues as well as plenty of others ranging from cheap materials that break easily to full-on spontaneous combustion. Meanwhile, the several new Gotway/Begode/Extreme Bull wheel releases this year so far have been relatively smooth and uneventful. We'll have to see once their arguably most-anticipated wheel this year, the Master, ships but it's been a weird turn of events in terms quality. Pretty disappointing to be honest to see these brands known for their quality dropping the ball only for the safety-pariah we know as Gotway/Begode/EB to seemingly have pick it up. I can't say I trust them yet but my trust in the other manufacturers has definitely taken a hit. I hope IM can make a clean release out of the V13.

Yeah I know other manufacturers have their issues unfortunately, but I've been following Inmotion most closely because I kinda want them to do well, because their product design (look + build quality) at least is superior in my opinion. Veteran is also promising but their target market is a bit niche and I'm not in that market right now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sunstrong said:

their product design (look + build quality) at least is superior in my opinion.

+1. I find the V12 is built better than its competitors. 

49 minutes ago, sunstrong said:

Veteran is also promising but their target market is a bit niche and I'm not in that market right now.

Since having started riding on main roads, I find 75 km/h top speed and 3000W motor may be limiting. They may have to bring out an Abrams Max with higher system voltage, higher battery capacity, and easier access to torque for acceleration and braking. 

I went further down this rabbit hole lol.

So you can find basic information of a company on some Chinese apps (kinda like Glassdoor). I checked that out, and tried to look into the info of the names mentioned on the Inmotion page.

I think Bob who's CEO right now (assuming he is the one whose Chinese name is Xuekai Yan) is one of the founders, but was not the main spokesperson. Him and the other founders found themselves in a lawsuit against one of Inmotion's early investors, back in 2019, and some of the founders were arrested for a while but released later...after that I'm guessing the original CEO stepped down and Charles became CEO.

Charles left in December 2021, right around the time that Inmotion released the first V13 teasers. This makes me think that the delay and secrecy around the V13 release has more to do with company restucturing rather than them trying to focus on fixing the V12...who knows.

The original CEO (Wei Zhou) and some other founding members seem to have left the company, taking what was originally the robotics department of Inmotion to start a new company LDRobots.https://www.ldrobot.com/en, making sensors for roombas...

I assume there is more money in the roomba market than the ever-so-niche EUC market, so I hope whoever is left, are the people who are actually passionate about PEVs and keep Inmotion growing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think a lot of the problems are a direct result of the problems affecting China at the moment. The zero covid policy is causing large parts of component and electronics manufacturing to have very major supply issues.. and probably quality issues as well. It must be very difficult designing a product and then finding out that many of the components you specified are not available…so alternatives have to be found or adapted. Just about everything made in China is being affec at the moment. 

• Like 1