Question about Sherman Max bent rim

BKW

I hit a massive concrete hole in the road today and bent my Sherman Max rim. I know it's bent because I can see that it's bent and I can also feel a slight bump/wobble now when I ride. I can ride it still but the feeling is noticeable compared to how it used to be very smooth.

My questions:

1. Is it possible I can use a mallet and beat the rim back into place, and thus rid myself of the bump/wobble feeling? Anyone do this before? Advice?

2. I'm not very savvy of how the motor sits in the body (pretty sure it's bolted in). Not sure if there is an axle or mainly bolts holding it in place? Anyway, is it possible I dented/warped the axle/bolts that holds the motor by hitting the pothole? I wonder if this would cause the wheel to wobble?

What would be your bet? Likely just the rim I bent? Or is it possible I warped what holds the motor in place?

I'll check it out soon, but just curious what you guys think. Obviously, I'd rather try and fix it myself first before considering buying another rim...

Edited by ETAonTheEUC

You probably just dented the rim, the rest of the kit is usually ok.

It is possible to hammer out the dent with a chunk of wood, but first check to make sure the rim isn't cracked internally. Often they'll split, and then you need to have specialty welding done (under water, so the heat from the welding doesn't bork your magnets), or more likely, a new rim.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tawpie said:

You probably just dented the rim, the rest of the kit is usually ok.

It is possible to hammer out the dent with a chunk of wood, but first check to make sure the rim isn't cracked internally. Often they'll split, and then you need to have specialty welding done (under water, so the heat from the welding doesn't bork your magnets), or more likely, a new rim.

Why do you suggest using a chunk of wood? Because the softness of it? Rubber mallet probably would work fine, no?

Edited by ETAonTheEUC

Just now, ETAonTheEUC said:

Why do you suggest using a chunk of wood?

Flatness! Lay a 2x4 across the dent and pound away on top of the wood. Move the wood because it'll get dented by the dent. If you bang on the metal itself you'll do yourself no favors.

• Like 1

Others have been successful with a vise and heat, be careful with heat because if you get the magnets too hot they'll demagnetize. Try https://www.bing.com/search?q=euc+dented+rim&go=Search&qs=n&sp=-1&pq=euc+dented+rim&sc=5-14&sk=&cvid=DA1626C237CE4B429AC1390358CACB13&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=&first=10&FORM=PERE or similar.

• Like 1