[Claimed] Broken InMotion V8F; Local San Diego / Shipping to US Southwest

Catch

Edit

The broken InMotion V8F has been claimed by a new owner and is no longer available.

In case my V8F issue write-up and troubleshooting attempts might be of value to anyone who stumbles across this thread via search results in the future, I'll leave those details below.

Original Post

Hello Electric Unicycle Forum-goers. Due to an upcoming long distance relocation for work, I need to giveaway and sell off my wheels. I have a relatively new, low-mileage, but nonfunctional InMotion V8F I would like to give to anyone willing to put the work into it fixing it, or parting it out. I unfortunately do not have the time to continue troubleshooting and repairs. Here's the rundown on its history and condition:

V8F Condition Summary

• Purchased New from EUCO (June 2022)
  • Mileage: 170 miles
  • Minor normal-use scratches on Outer Shells and Pedals
  • Known Crash at 15 MPH:
    • Some shredding of Right Shell Padding
    • Small cracks along Right Shell edges
    • Battery pack right side received some crash impact; visible tearing of nameplate sticker by outer shell interior
    • Crash is assumed proximal cause of issue--continued functionality following crash with later failure
  • Wheel is semi-nonfunctional:
    • Powers On and can establish BT connection (InMotion and WheelLog apps)
    • Does not self-balance while powered on (as though wheel-spin kill switch were held down)
    • Will not Power Off and must be forced Off (hold Power button for 30 seconds)
    • No audible beeps or voice prompts
    • Battery Status indicator lights up however Show Lights, Headlight, and Tail Light do not turn on
    • Headlight can be turned on and off via app only (Power switch will not trigger)
    • InMotion Diagnostic returns Good health despite prior Overload event with diagnostic Battery-related failure initially indicated
    • No observed effect from other setting changes via app (Transport Mode, Calibration, Kill Switch on/off)
  • No clearly identified main board damage or sub-component failure
  • Battery pack internal damage with main board firmware fault/safety lockout condition is current hypothesis

Read on for full written details, or skip to Shipping Conditions.

V8F History

I purchased this V8F new from EUCO back in early June 2022. This was my first EUC, which I put 120 miles on before switching over to the eWheels' Molicel Nikola Plus. I continued to take this V8F out weekly for short errands and low speed skills training, bringing its total mileage up to 170.

Other than minor scrapes and dings while learning at speeds below 5 MPH, this V8F has had one notable crash at about 15 MPH one month ago. I lost my footing and control after hitting a tree root-uplifted patch of asphalt obscured by shade, sending 120-pound me and the 34-pound wheel tumbling. Was glad I practice ATGATT. The only apparent damage to the wheel was a few cracks to the right-side shell cover edge and a ripped up right-side pad, however I suspect the forces involved potentially caused internal damage that would not have immediate effect. I was able to continue riding the wheel on a few subsequent short trips, so I thought I was in the clear.

V8F Failure Event

Two weeks ago, I was performing low speed turning practice on level pavement at roughly 64 percent battery. As I brought the V8F to a slow stop and began to shift into reverse direction, the wheel stopped balancing, causing me to awkwardly step off and quickly grab the handle. There was no audible beep, voice complaint, or tilt-back. The wheel just stopped balancing despite being powered on, as though the wheel-spin kill switch were being held down. Checking the kill switch wasn't indeed stuck as best I could tell, and attempting to reset the wheel with a Power Off had no effect; the wheel remained unable to balance and stuck in a Power On state.

After carrying the wheel home--thankfully just down the block--I placed it upright on its stand and plugged it into its charger, hoping the direct connect might trigger the Engine Off Charging state and potentially allow power-off after disconnect. No such luck, but the V8F did enter and stay in Engine Off Charging state, so I let it continue to charge while searching for suggestions online. About 10 minutes later, the wheel began repeatedly shouting "Overload: Please Get Off!" while flashing all red. Disconnecting the charger, I held down the Power button hoping it would trigger a Force Off. After holding the Power button for 30 seconds, the wheel finally powered off.

V8F Troubleshooting

I have since attempted to troubleshoot this issue to the best of my (limited) ability with no luck. The InMotion app's Diagnostic utility initially returned a Battery-related failure immediately after the Overload event, however I did not screenshot it or remember the exact (short) description. Subsequent diagnostic runs after a subsequent power reset however only return Good condition.

I removed both outer shells to check the internal components, and did not find any clear abnormalities. The main board mosfets, caps, fuse, and all connections appear to be in good condition--no burns or breaks best I can tell. I also disconnected the battery pack, discharged the board, and reconnected the pack to attempt a hard firmware reset, but no effect. I did notice that the battery pack likely received some of the crash impact directly via the right shell interior pushing on and tearing the battery pack nameplate sticker. Based on this and the audible Overload event during charging, I therefore suspect the battery pack to be the main source of the issue, with the main board firmware possibly stuck in a fault/safety lockout condition (hypothesis).

Edited by Catch
The broken V8F has been claimed by a local rider and is no longer available.
  • Like 1

• Catch changed the title to [Claimed] Broken InMotion V8F; Local San Diego / Shipping to US Southwest