Deciding between upgrading to an EX.N or Sherman Max (alt. suggestions welcome)

I've been ready to upgrade for some time now but after having moved to a city where I can get just about anywhere on my wheel and having attended some group rides where I was trailing behind due to my 18XL's 30mph top speed I think the time has finally come for my ascension to 100V.

I'm looking for a cruiser - I don't do a whole lot of off-roading nor have I gotten into jumping my wheels yet (though ideally I'd like to be able to jump curbs). My wheels are my main mode of transportation so I'm also looking for above-average range and reliability. As for mobility, I tend to keep it pretty conservative - I carve mildly and like being able to do circles when I need to wait for a pedestrian or car and occasionally I'll go weaving through some tight spaces but otherwise I ride mostly in straight lines and take wide turns. I also just moved to the PNW so no doubt I'll need rain-proof-ability for the likely event that I get caught in a drizzle.

Currently, I prefer my 18XL over my 16X for its stability at speed. The 16X feels twitchy and unpredictable at >25mph whereas the 18XL feels like I'm raiding on a rail. The roads around me aren't great, bumps and potholes are very common but the 18XL handles most of them just fine where on the 16X they can be pretty jarring. At lower speeds the 18XL is still pretty easy to maneuver and as far as I know it has a great track record for reliability. The only thing that I don't love about it is that it can't keep up with the 100V wheels in my group and occasionally traffic when I have to go on larger residential roads.

The EX.N has been recommended to me by several people at the local group. I got a chance to ride one around a little and even at lower speeds I could feel the 100V power but also how it felt imbalanced due to its lopsided battery placement which has me a little concerned about how it's going to handle at higher speeds going over bumps in the road. I'm also a little worried about its range/voltage-sag as shown in Hsiang's review despite the ~80 miles that is advertised. Lastly, it is a Gotway/Begode wheel... which seems to have done better in regards to their wheels catching fire recently but I still don't trust them as much as I do other manufacturers. For that reason I'd feel better about ordering from ewheels to get their alternative LiTech battery packs. Unfortunately, right now the site says the HS version won't be available until May o.0 which might just be a deal-breaker unless the HT version can also meet my speed-needs.

I've also had my eyes on the Sherman Max - owning a Sherman almost feels like a rite of passage at this point. I had a chance to ride one of these last weekend as well and I loved how grounded it felt. It is chunky though and it's hard to imagine wheeling that around a grocery store while running errands - which I often do. I did get some warnings from riders about pedal dipping but that sounds like it happens more often when you've got a high-maneuverability riding style. I was under the impression that the Sherman was known to be very reliable and has decent water resistance, however ewheel's comparison chart seems to contradict that... hoping someone can chime in about that.

I've been stuck on a loop between the EX.N and Sherman Max for the last week now and I'm hoping you all can help me decide. I'm also open to alternative suggestions, I'll list my priorities below.

Must-haves

• Can reliably take a 200 pound rider to 40-45mph at >50% battery
  • Remains stable at speed on paved-but-poorly-maintained roads
  • Can hold up to wet roads and the occasional drizzle without fear of internal water damage
  • Reasonably durable; can withstand going down curbs and stairs, occasional low-speed tip-overs and hitting bumps/minor potholes at higher speeds
  • No recent reports of spontaneous explosions while responsibly riding, carting or storing 
  • No recent reports of cutouts/mobo-failures while responsibly riding

Nice-to-haves

• At least 60 miles of range when riding at 25-35mph on average
  • Capable of carting around a store with relative ease
  • Capable of jumping curbs and going on occasional gravel/dirt-roads
  • Capable of maneuvering through narrow gaps and passages
  • Capable of going up moderate hills for a reasonably sustained distance without frying electronics
  • Bright headlight/high-viz brake light
  • Decent acceleration/braking distance
  • A decent BMS (if that even exists yet...)
  • Minimal maintenance/modifications required to meet all the above criteria

Meh...

• Internal speakers/LED Lighting
  • Optimal off-roading capabilities
  • Built-in digital interface

2 hours ago, Spaghetteh said:

hard to imagine wheeling that around a grocery store

There's something about some Shermans and grocery stores, they don't seem to get along.

But... virtually everyone in the SEA all year fast riding group seemed to have gone Sherman. Yes, there are a few EX.Ns, but Sherman has worked very well around here.

2 hours ago, Spaghetteh said:

Can reliably take a 200 pound rider to 40-45mph at >50% battery

Someone is asking why their EX.N doesn't want to go over 40, someone else thought 40 might be max for the C38. If this is a hard requirement, you might investigate further.

• Thanks 1

A Sherman makes sense in the PNW and for fast riders because of weather protection, the battery capacity, and 8 P. This translate to good top speed with range over the EX.N.

But MS. CRUSHER, a member of the Portland crew, who was super stoked initially when she bought a Sherman Max, only returned back to her EX.N, shortly after. 

That surprised me. She explained in the comment section of one of her recent videos that the Sherman Max wasn't nimble enough for her.

I learnt on the Begode T3, and when I first got on either the RS-19 or EX.N, I was immediately familiar, albeit they were bigger and heavier. On the other hand, when I first got on the Sherman, it felt foreign, very sluggish to maneuver, and heavy.

It does come across on paper, the Sherman is the better choice, but only if price is not an issue, and you will enjoy riding it.

Having said that, moving from an 18XL to a Sherman Max is a big jump in one go.

• Thanks 1