S18 clock and tire graze

Dougev

Ok, a weird problem. My s18 has developed a clock sound, and something is hitting the wheel inside, gradually getting worse and now I have see the trade getting worn on one side. Seems and feels like a regular  hit as the wheel turns. Obviously first  thought was the valve, but it's not that and graze  is on other side. It's only when I'm on it, so seems like suspension, but can't see how it would effect the wheel as it's sealed off by the hub. I've taken one side off, can't see how it's happening. Weird right? Anyone have any ideas? Do I now have do a complete tear down of the wheel?

• Like 1

Just now, Dougev said:

Ok, a weird problem. My s18 has developed a clock sound, and something is hitting the wheel inside, gradually getting worse and now I have see the trade getting worn on one side. Seems and feels like a regular  hit as the wheel turns. Obviously first  thought was the valve, but it's not that and graze  is on other side. It's only when I'm on it, so seems like suspension, but can't see how it would effect the wheel as it's sealed off by the hub. I've taken one side off, can't see how it's happening. Weird right? Anyone have any ideas? Do I now have do a complete tear down of the wheel?

Oops, clock= clonk or click sound 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dougev said:

It's only when I'm on it, so seems like suspension

You can take the suspension out of the picture by locking it out (blue lever). One clonk per rev... any grinding noises (bearings)? Can you lay it on its side and turn it by hand slowly... feel any places where it resists? Try it with the shock deflated so you can push the wheel to different positions in the suspension travel.

A clonk is odd if there's nothing in the wheel well. Anything hitting the pedal hangers? They're not loose I assume.

Edited by Tawpie

Good thoughts. Locked it out and it kept doing it, took wheel off today, can't see anything or feel anything...not peddle hangers. Wheel now has visable wear so it should be obvious- but its not. 

On 8/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, Tawpie said:

It might help to have a few pictures of the graze? It might be unrelated to the clonk, something scraping usually sounds like… well, scraping.

Ok, i think it's the suspension. I can't get it pumped higher than 80 in either cylinder, then my weight comprsses it onto the guard, then onto the wheel. Seems like I will need to replace the shock system or maybe just the shock itself....so I'll do that, and hopefully sorted. Really appreciate the thoughts and ideas!

2 minutes ago, Dougev said:

Ok, i think it's the suspension. I can't get it pumped higher than 80 in either cylinder, then my weight comprsses it onto the guard, then onto the wheel. Seems like I will need to replace the shock system or maybe just the shock itself....so I'll do that, and hopefully sorted. Really appreciate the thoughts and ideas!

Excellent you have a probable cause. Sad something's broken, but there are more expensive parts on it than the shock! Are you still under warranty?