How do I ride V11 seated?

Knight Rider

I'm trying to ride a V11 seated. I have the stock seat from Inmotion. When I try to transition the back end of the seat ends up poking me from underneath and when I try to move my butt forward to get comfortable it wobbles too much. From a stand still I can get comfortable but it starts to move forward and I tilt over with it. I stop to prevent it from fumbling over. I'm also worried about braking, I'm not sure how to go about that. It seems like I can trust the wheel standing but not seated.

I can only offer the experience I have had, which is. I have a bike seat mounted on mine and I really like that. It hits the inside of my legs and I can torque the wheel. I can grab the front of the seat for emergency braking. I have it mounted on a seat riser/spring. It’s certainly function over form though. 🤣🤣 

2 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I can only offer the experience I have had, which is. I have a bike seat mounted on mine and I really like that. It hits the inside of my legs and I can torque the wheel. I can grab the front of the seat for emergency braking. I have it mounted on a seat riser/spring. It’s certainly function over form though. 🤣🤣 

Do you use any pads for the legs?

Yeah. I started learning from a stopped position, then moved to sitting while moving. I still ride 90% of the time standing. The seat is great for braking and leverage. 

i had the seat but it fell off :/ i used to find it easier to transition to seated while moving. 

For me, and still, i find i think much more about my feet than my butt when doing it. I think that’s why it’s easier to go from standing as i try to keep my feet basically the same, but squish my butt down on the seat/handle for comfort. The balance and power of the wheel for me is much more coming from my feet and legs, than my ass. swaying the upper body can help when you get moving at a little more speed.

I tried seated riding again. I set the speed limit on the V11 to 25 MPH and set speed and braking to 20%. I can kinda do it but then it feels like my balls are being raddled by the back end of the seat. I stand up slowly out of seating position with the balls of my feet on the pedals and my heels off and I had the craziest wobble. I think I was going around 20 MPH. I slowed down until I could get off the V11.

I had badish wobbles the first few times I tried too. Honestly I think it comes to really feeling where the wheel needs to be underneath you and your sense of balance. I rode with my seat installed before really giving it a go. Maybe just get used it it and try to learn periodically, when it feels like the right time. That’s what I did anyway. 

I have a v11 and when I tried sitting with the stock seat I also found the seat too wobbly. I drilled holes in the seat to attach a long zip tie, when patched the hole with rubber sealant. I felt it became much easier to ride. I also think that riding on the mten3, which is very sensitive, trained me to ride seated by teaching me better control of my ankles and feet.

I think you have way to much leather in there. Just cut down a strip that’s a bit wider then the clap itself and just enough length to wrap once around the handle with no overlap. Then clamp it down and wrap up those sharp metal parts in tape. I’ve had mine like that for months now. Zero movement or shifting. You will need to work out what angle and position you want the seat at by practice. I ended up putting my seat all the way forward on the spring thing, but I think it’s going to be a personal thing. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cds6xyWAlLO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by Hellkitten

On 8/14/2022 at 11:18 PM, Hellkitten said:

I think you have way to much leather in there. Just cut down a strip that’s a bit wider then the clap itself and just enough length to wrap once around the handle with no overlap. Then clamp it down and wrap up those sharp metal parts in tape. I’ve had mine like that for months now. Zero movement or shifting. You will need to work out what angle and position you want the seat at by practice. I ended up putting my seat all the way forward on the spring thing, but I think it’s going to be a personal thing. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cds6xyWAlLO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I noticed you placed a piece in the back of the spring mount. Does that serve a purpose in any way?

That’s not my Instagram. Just had a quick but decent howto. I mounted mine more or less the same way though. You just want to to be a super solid mount. The leather evens out the surface and adds lots of friction. The clamps hold it firmly down. I put one at the front, one at the back and one in the middle. All the flex in the seat mount comes after the last clamp. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got the seat to stay on tight enough. 

20220901-201638

I manage to ride it a little bit not too far from the rails. How ever the mountain bike seat very uncomfortable on my butt and my crotch. Is it safe to install the shock spring mount in reverse? I'm worried that it might slide back from leaning back with my weight.

• 2 weeks later...
I learned how to use the V11 saddle last week, in about 4 hours before I started from sitting and I got up then I started from standing, I sat down and got up. Initially it seemed unthinkable and very difficult but with a little practice it turned out to be easier than expected. I am very satisfied with the original saddle, I feel it comfortable and even with standing riding the wheel feels more stable and I steer it better.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today I did what I usually do when taking a break from standing rides: I sat down on the seat while stationary and just kinda pushed along with one foot on pedal. I hopped other foot on a couple times and SURPRISE, I balanced and kept going seated. I took a couple of very easy, long turns and was all excited until i saw a sharp turn approaching. I started trying to slow down, but leaning back was VERY slow to brake. Heels weren't on pedals (my feet weren't flat), so no braking that way. I managed to get slow enough to only have a light crash and roll when i put my feet down to stop at the last minute and wasn't hurt (except pride).

So can anyone break down all the things I did wrong? I assume if I had known how to stand up from seated I should've braked standing? Or is it possible to come to a halt seated? Do you have to know how to sit/stand/sit/stand in motion before even attempting seated riding? It just felt so good to be doing it after so many tries... But I really felt like I had no braking power whatsoever. Is there an order to learning the subskills that go into the skill of seated riding that I should follow?  And MUST feet be flat on pedals when seated? that seems a hard position on the V11... Thanks in advance for any advice...

• Like 1

I keep my feet on toe the footpegs, I don't go very fast sitting at 30km/h, if I have to brake suddenly, I put my right hand between my legs, holding it to the front of the handle where the saddle rests and I "throw back" pulling.. brakes well but I repeat at over 30km/h I've never tried it also because I use the saddle to "rest" so I don't go fast in this mode.
Edited by Grinch