V11 with a Michelin City Pro 80/90 14

Vatherian

2 hours ago, Critzlez said:

Okay I measured it and 70/90 is ~50mm sidewall, 18x3 cst 1488 is ~64.5mm. Diameter though is a very little difference where it's 19in for 70/90-14 and I remeasured 19.5 in for cst 1488. It was difficult to measure as the tire profile was curved lol.

19.5" diameter measurement makes much more sense because I did hear online somewhere that 18x3 or 16x3 is effectively 100% aspect ratio, but I initially mismeasured the 1488 tire so I thought it was wrong at first. so basically, 18x3 would really be 70/100. Diameter of that is 19.5" or so.

All-in-all, it is indeed smaller so you are correct with that. Though 70/90 is still closer than 80/90 is. 70/90 is 2.6% shorter than 18x3 (70/100). But 80/90 is 1% taller and 9.7% wider, so the delta of 10.7% is a much bigger difference than 70/90's 2.6%. Either is fine really, but 70/90 would be a better alternative if clearances are pretty tight

(Caliper looks off, but the camera can't capture it accurately because the tire is curved)

20240815_083723.jpg

20240815_082906.jpg

20240815_083013.jpg

See i didn't mention the whole diameter, because each tire is little bit different. Bigger knobs, street tire, etc.. And i don't know each and every single tire ever made.

Now going back to my original post - i was right. :D  (Why would i post something that isn't right and people can call me out..?) From what i have seen most people would take higher side wall, as it will protect rim better. More impact can be taken, before rim gets dented or getting pinch flats. Same time going smaller diameter tire - you gain little bit more torque. (Not worth even thinking about - that much.) 

I personally could fit even 80/90 - i got lifted pedal hangers.. Whole EUC body moved upwards. But 51Cm K66 would be cutting very close to getting stuck. So i din't.. I got very narrow wheel well. So i can't fit anything wider than 68mm MAX. (I was looking for M/C tires that sides can be cut. Knobs mostly..) K66 from side wall to other side wall is right on mark 66mm.. < I cut off side knobs. Originally it was 76mm wide.

Anyways.. How does it ride? Compared to C-1488? Isn't that 70/90 very hard/harsh ride? Also having less side wall weight - tire can't suppress under load that much, compared to something that has more height. Just saying. More height - more smooth/comfy ride. As you don't need to put that much PSI in also.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

See i didn't mention the whole diameter, because each tire is little bit different. Bigger knobs, street tire, etc.. And i don't know each and every single tire ever made.

Now going back to my original post - i was right. :D  (Why would i post something that isn't right and people can call me out..?) From what i have seen most people would take higher side wall, as it will protect rim better. More impact can be taken, before rim gets dented or getting pinch flats. Same time going smaller diameter tire - you gain little bit more torque. (Not worth even thinking about - that much.) 

I personally could fit even 80/90 - i got lifted pedal hangers.. Whole EUC body moved upwards. But 51Cm K66 would be cutting very close to getting stuck. So i din't.. I got very narrow wheel well. So i can't fit anything wider than 68mm MAX. (I was looking for M/C tires that sides can be cut. Knobs mostly..) K66 from side wall to other side wall is right on mark 66mm.. < I cut off side knobs. Originally it was 76mm wide.

Anyways.. How does it ride? Compared to C-1488? Isn't that 70/90 very hard/harsh ride? Also having less side wall weight - tire can't suppress under load that much, compared to something that has more height. Just saying. More height - more smooth/comfy ride. As you don't need to put that much PSI in also.

If you're measuring sidewall height like you currently are, then the diameter would be consistent. Otherwise, that'd imply the sidewall height would vary. But anyway, the 70/90 is harsher but it's mostly due to it being a very stiff tubeless tire. It rides great overall though. You are right about 70/90 being less protective against the rim though

How common are bent rims on suspension wheels for regular street use? Because I feel like even with the 70/90 at 30psi, the suspension would make rim bending extremely rare especially on the street. I've hit a median curb accidentally at around 15mph, 30psi on my patton at night because I couldn't see it, and i went over it perfectly with no bent rim. Personally I haven't had any possible rim bend scenarios during 5k miles of street

Edited by Critzlez

5 hours ago, Critzlez said:

If you're measuring sidewall height like you currently are, then the diameter would be consistent. Otherwise, that'd imply the sidewall height would vary. But anyway, the 70/90 is harsher but it's mostly due to it being a very stiff tubeless tire. It rides great overall though. You are right about 70/90 being less protective against the rim though

How common are bent rims on suspension wheels for regular street use? Because I feel like even with the 70/90 at 30psi, the suspension would make rim bending extremely rare especially on the street. I've hit a median curb accidentally at around 15mph, 30psi on my patton at night because I couldn't see it, and i went over it perfectly with no bent rim. Personally I haven't had any possible rim bend scenarios during 5k miles of street

Sidewall will be always the same. Just that street vs knobby tire will have difference. As knobbies will add extra few mm in overall height.

Well i don't have suspension. :D So...