V11 with a Michelin City Pro 80/90 14

Vatherian

Hi folks,

The team I bought my V11 from has it in for some repairs and there's an opportunity to change out the tire. I had seen good reviews of the Michelin City pro, but can't see if it's been installed on a V11.

My biggest issue with the stock V11 is its tendency to follow lines.

I found a couple of variations:

Michelin City Pro 80/90-14 Road Scooter Front & Rear Tyre (thsmoto.co.nz)

Michelin City Pro - Scooter Retro Tyre Range (hastingshonda.co.nz)

Would anyone have experience with these, or could comment on the likely chance of success if I order one of them for the reseller to attempt on the V11?

We're in different cities and getting tires in NZ can be tricky so hope I might be able to get some info from the good folks here before I take a stab at it.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Michelin City Pro in 80/90-14 comes up quite wide on a 40mm wide rim (78mm+ for me), so you may find it is too wide to allow enough clearance for the V11's shell.  I have the same size City Pro fitted to my Sherman and found it to clear just fine on that wheel, even though it's actually wider than the stock Kenda 262.

This topic from another forum member has some good information on the City Pro in the smaller size of 70/90-14, which may prove to be a better fit for the V11:   

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vatherian said:

My biggest issue with the stock V11 is its tendency to follow lines

keep in mind that all MC has this tendency too becouse they are stiffer, the tire that do not follow lines at all is the knobby

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, fbhb said:

The Michelin City Pro in 80/90-14 comes up quite wide on a 40mm wide rim (78mm+ for me), so you may find it is too wide to allow enough clearance for the V11's shell.  I have the same size City Pro fitted to my Sherman and found it to clear just fine on that wheel, even though it's actually wider than the stock Kenda 262.

This topic from another forum member has some good information on the City Pro in the smaller size of 70/90-14, which may prove to be a better fit for the V11:   

Thank you for the advice.

I ordered the City pro yesterday - I also have a Sherman Max on order - so I guess if the V11 is a total no go it can at least go onto that.

How do you find it on the Sherman? I'm not really into offroading mostly tarmac maybe a little grass if I'm crossing a field or something.

Also, Howdy fellow Kiwi! No one else I've seen around here on one as yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 7:30 AM, Vatherian said:

Thank you for the advice.

I ordered the City pro yesterday - I also have a Sherman Max on order - so I guess if the V11 is a total no go it can at least go onto that.

How do you find it on the Sherman? I'm not really into offroading mostly tarmac maybe a little grass if I'm crossing a field or something.

Also, Howdy fellow Kiwi! No one else I've seen around here on one as yet.

I would also like to install a mc tire on my V11...
Anny update on your City Pro 80/90-14 on your V11 ?

Edited by digithom

17 hours ago, digithom said:

I would also like to install a mc tire on my V11...
Anny update on your City Pro 80/90-14 on your V11 ?

Hiya,

The wheel is still being worked on by the team I bought it from. Their feedback was that it *just* fit. Though they haven't yet assembled it and taken a ride so far as I'm aware.

I'm currently waiting on them to finish work on the V11 and hopefully have a Sherman Max in before I'll make the trip over to see them and pick up the wheel. I'll update on anything I find out.

It's possible that a 70/90 might be an easier install? Though I'm not experienced with tyres!

28 minutes ago, Vatherian said:

The wheel is still being worked on by the team I bought it from. Their feedback was that it *just* fit. Though they haven't yet assembled it and taken a ride so far as I'm aware.

The Michelin City Pro 80/90-14 even fitted to a 40mm wide rim will still come up quite wide, especially on the V11, where there may well be issues with it rubbing inside the wheel well when ridden. 

My observation is based specifically upon my fitting the same tyre to my V1 Sherman (40mm wide rim), where it actually comes up wider than the OG Kenda 262 knobby, but fortunately still has plenty of clearance on that wheel and so No rubbing at all!

A narrower version of the City Pro may very well work better for the V11, should you find clearance is an issue.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Vatherian said:

It's possible that a 70/90 might be an easier install? Though I'm not experienced with tyres!

70/90 - is VERY, VERY small tire. It's smaller than 18x2.5 tire! The height alone from where rim/tire meet is ~50mm. Even 18x2.5" tire has ~55mm.

80/80 has ~58mm height.

80/90 has ~64mm height.

From where rim/tire meets.

I would never want 70/90 tire, because it's so short - you need more psi to not damage the rim. Because of that ~50mm height. Also it will be more harsh ride.

Edited by Funky

On 6/21/2022 at 12:02 PM, Funky said:

I would never want 70/90 tire, because it's so short - you need more psi to not damage the rim. Because of that ~50mm height. Also it will be more harsh ride.

As you know I have a M/C 70/90 street tire on my ks18xl, believe me, it is not a matter of rim damage because M/C tire is really hard even at low pressure and the rim is more protected than with stock tire even if it is 5mm less, the problem is the riding comfort, it is hard like wood.

Edited by digithom
syntax mistake

2 hours ago, digithom said:

As you know I have a M/C 70/90 street tire on my ks18xl, believe me, it is not a matter of rim damage because M/C tire is really hard even at low pressure and the rim is more protected than with stock tire even if it is 5mm less, the problem is the riding comfort, it is hard like wood.

And as you know i have K66 80/80-14 installed on mine 18xl. :D And having 58mm height vs 50 is worlds difference. Also M/C tire.

What i was trying to say - someone who has originally 18x3" tire. Going to 70/90 is BIG i mean BIG-BIG mistake.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

And as you know i have K66 80/80-14 installed on mine 18xl. :D And having 58mm height vs 50 is worlds difference. Also M/C tire.

Anyway, don't forget that k66 is not properly a street tire, due to it's tall thread it would be soft even if it was 50mm

What i was trying to say - someone who has originally 18x3" tire. Going to 70/90 is BIG i mean BIG-BIG mistake.

on this I agree with you, if you have a stock 18x3" you have the space to fit a 80/80 or better a 80/90, so, why choose a smaller one ?!

1 hour ago, digithom said:

Anyway, don't forget that k66 is not properly a street tire, due to it's tall thread it would be soft even if it was 50mm

Still better than 1488. :P Thread is only ~5mm tall. You said it the best about street tires "it is hard like wood":D So i would say K66 wins by being "softer" than "real" street tire, but same time more robust than regular euc tires. Great middle ground. When i went from stock 1488 to K66, i didn't notice much change at all.

Also comparing K66 to 1488 i would 100% say it's much harder, than that flimsy rubber 1488.

At your weight "softer" tires would be better. :) It would feel better.

1 hour ago, digithom said:

on this I agree with you, if you have a stock 18x3" you have the space to fit a 80/80 or better a 80/90, so, why choose a smaller one ?!

The guy upwards in post post mentioned 70/90 for V11. That's why i said - what i said.. :D 

• Like 1