Observations on Gotway pedal magnets

I had assumed the pedals on my MCM5v2 (original Nikola pedals from ewheels) were interchangeable, but it seems they have an embedded magnet at a specific location that needs to align with the magnet inside the shell. So if you inadvertently install them on the wrong side they won’t stay up.

On a related note, I purchased a set of the Gotway honeycomb pedals and it seems those are not magnetized and therefore won’t stay upright on the MCM5v2. I’m planning to switch out one of the studs for a magnet to see how that works out.

I had set a spare disc magnet on each side of my MSP between the CNC honeycomb pedals and the outer shell, sticking to the latter by magnetic force (actually just sitting on top of my Roll.nz cover), this provides extra magnetic power to hold the pedals in place. Magnets were about the size of two of your US ‘Quarter’ stacked one atop the other. 

Now use Nylonove pedals, which are less than half the weight, although the Begode CNC pedals worked very well indeed.

HTH.

Edit - I just checked my Begode pedals, there is a plastic GW logo sticker on the underside of the pedals, which hide a recessed magnet (or at any rate on mine), so they are fitted with magnets. Might be worth checking that the polarity is correctly aligned, as this will greatly affect the outcome.

Edited by Freeforester
Additional information

Good call - there is indeed a magnet in the center of the CNC pedal. The problem is that it isn’t aligned with the off-center magnet cup on the MCM5v2 shell. But I think gluing a new bar magnet in the center of the shell should do the trick.