Straighten a rim

Hey fellas

Does anyone have a good tool/idea on how to straigten dented rims not only laterally (sideways) but also radially (away from center)?

It's hard to grab onto the lip of the rim. Hmm. 

I know that when stretching alloy rims you need to heat it up first with a blow torch so that it doesn't crack. That's not so hard to do. 

The problem is how to grab onto the edge.

I've seen car rims being fixed with a jack expanded inside the rim. Unfortunately we can't get inside the rim like that.

Ideally the motor should still be mounted on the pedal hangers so it can be spun and checked with every adjustment.

If a hammer is the way to go, what's a good way to hammer "out" a dent? Not just hammer the rim lip back in line. That will just adjust it in one dimension.

I have tried the following on a Begode T3 rim.

What I used were two steel tire irons. Note that it is important to place a block of wood underneath the rim/tire (on the underside) where the dent is. You need to put a vertical force, as well as a force to open up the "V" apexed at the rim where it is dented. With the wrong tools or technique, it will slip very easily. I was able to not slip, and pry the lip of the rim back without cracking. By opening up the "V", I was able to push back the lip of the rim radially outwards and laterally inwards, at least for the dents I was faced with.