V12 or Sherman Max?

After putting ~400 miles of mostly city riding on my 16x, I’m looking for a speed upgrade. The two wheels that I’m most interested in right now are the V12 and the Sherman Max. I realize that these are two completely different classes of wheels, but since I’ve only ever ridden the 16x, I’m having a really hard time deciding which one would be the best purchase.

I really like the nimbleness of the 16x so I’m a little unsure about how the additional size/weight of the Sherman will feel. However, I also really like the idea of having headroom to cruise in the 35-40mph range, and the additional stability afforded by the larger tire.

On the other hand, I’m also really intrigued by the build quality and waterproofing of the v12 (assuming they fix the mosfet issues in the next batch), but realize I’d be sacrificing a bit of speed, range, and stability when compared to the Sherman.

Of all the factors, “range” is the least important to me, but I suppose that could easily change once I bump up my cruising speed and start covering more ground. For now, I’m mainly concerned with ride feel, top speed, and versatility.

For anyone who’s ridden both the V12 and the Sherman, do you think the additional agility and build quality of the V12 outweighs the stability, speed, and range of the Sherman? I get that this is kinda like asking “do you prefer chocolate or vanilla” but in lieu of actually being able to test ride both wheels, I figured this was the next best thing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don’t buy a v12 till they release a board upgrade. Unless you want to buy mine 😅

Aside from that I think the big issue is whether you care more about long range, or wheel portability.

If you need to lug the wheel upstairs or onto public transportation, the V 12 makes more sense. If you’re going on long distance rides, the Sherman

Edited by Richardo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sherman  is better choice, his range gives You totally new possibilities. But he is very heavy (36kg).

If You want something lighter, easier to carry upstairs - consider Rs or Monster3 (27-28kg) or Exn (32kg). They have also big range ~100km, but are much easier to carry upstairs.

Edited by Greg X
  • Like 2

I like my sherman for the headroom it affords me at 40mph. I don't know anything about the new MAX however. Dont make the mistake of assuming that one wheel is durable just because a similar model before it, has been. From what I can tell, I'd be waiting on both the v12 and the Max, to prove themselves. Basic rules of manufacture and design DO NOT apply in the euc world. Newer models can just as easily be total piles of sh*t, as they can be an actual sidestep or improvement.

My only complaints about MY sherman this far, is.. its damn heavy to carry. It was damn expensive to buy.

As for quality.... Well, if we grade it on the sliding scale of eucs that came before it... its pretty decent. If we compare it to the quality of the newest wheels, it at the top. So far, mine hasnt let me down, and thats about as much as we can hope for atm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Little/big: We are in the same boat. I’m upgrading from a V10. I was debating between the V12, Sherman Max and EXN (HS or HT). I was leaning toward the V12 but it’s recent problems are making me rethink the choice.

I’m ride mostly street, 200 lbs. I want to ride the way I want for at least an hour (so 1800wh is questionable).  I want something that carves well (but it doesn’t have to be super nimble).

Nowadays I’m leaning to the Sheman max but not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Edited by lazybones99
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, more and more I’m leaning towards the Sherman. I suppose there will be an adjustment period as I get used to the extra mass, but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up appreciating the added stability and headroom when bombing around the city. And for everything else, I’ll still have the 16x!

Now to see if I’ll have the patience to hold out until it’s confirmed that the updated “max” version is as robust as its predecessor. I’m hopeful it will be, but these days it feels like it’s a roll of the dice from one batch to the next. Given how rapidly these companies keep iterating on their wheels I wonder if it even matters. By the time reviews come out, Veteran might have already moved on to some new flavor (the “Sherman Max Plus”?) and then I’m right back in the same boat!

I have both a v12 and a sherman. I use them for different things. The sherman is my commuter. I love riding it to and from work. But if I'm going to play around, do technical riding, tight turns, etc, I use my v12. I have lost some of my trust in it, so I don't ride it nearly as fast as the sherman. I figure a fall going 18 mph is going to be significantly less damaging to me than a fall at 35. The sherman has all kinds of head room. I'm a big rider (220 lbs) so the added battery capacity is WELL worth the weight. 

I will also say that I run my sherman PSI at 40, which is higher than my friends who ride them.  It's still ridiculously stable and smooth.  

The v12 has a great ride to it. The pedals feel more solid under my feet, less dip.  It even has a help balance setting that makes going up and down hills really slick. I genuinely love riding it as well.  I'm not sure how it compares to the 16x, but my gut says that you can tailer it to be similar. I know that the v12 is WAY more stable and solid that the 16s, which I learned on, but now STRUGGLE to ride.  

My buddies and I joke that the v12 is like the mten3 and the sherman had a beautiful baby. Good speed, good torque, maneuverable, and a little twitchy. (FYI, those are the 3 wheels that I own) 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've ridden both the Sherman and the v12 a bit and I have a Sherman Max on the way and I must say these 2 wheels are different beasts coming from someone who rides a different 100v 16 inch wheel (Nikola AR+) and It all depends on the ride feel. The v12 will net you more nimbleness as you said, it can go around 43 mph so 35-40 is very doable! Whereas the Sherman can go up to 45-50 mph and its easier to reach higher speeds imo with the tire size and comfort it provides compared to the jello legs I get on 16 inch tires makes quite a difference psychologically lol! So do you want comfort and range or nimbleness and ease of cost?

P.S. The Nikola AR+ from Alien rides is a happy medium if you want the range and the nimble wheel!

Edited by catchi

Yes, they are two different wheels -- the sherman and the v12. The v12 is basically the same as the 16x, but a little more battery and speed. The sherman is on another level in my opinion, even though I have yet to ride one. If you "upgrade" to the v12 from the 16X, then you'll notice minor differences; if you upgrade to the sherman, you're gonna get the "wow" experience because the sherman is tier above both the v12 and the 16x in my opinion. It's like comparing two different tiers of wheels in my opinion.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, lazybones99 said:

I want something that carves well (but it doesn’t have to be super nimble).

Both the EXN and the Sherman are advanced wheels, and I also pondered over the two. Both have power and speed. The Sherman beats the EXN in distance, but both go very far regardless; the EXN beats the sherman in maneuverability. This is how my simple mind simplifies the comparison of the two wheels: If you want more of a race car, go with the EXN; if you want more of a cadillac go with the sherman -- how accurate that description is, idk..

Edited by bkw