V12 reset itself after low speed drop

taiguy

A buddy and I were riding home through the park today and had a low speed collision. My v12 tipped over and I banged up my side on the ground, no serious damage other than some holes in clothing.

We completed our ride back home and then I noticed that all my riding telemetry data was gone. No odometer, no max speed, nothing.

Then I found out all my settings were set back to default as well. The 15 mph speed clamp was turned on. The default sound pack was enabled. Pedal settings were default as well.

Any idea what this means?

Loose connection? Although I don't know how a loose connection would reset the board, they 'usually' retain all the settings after a normal power off. Maybe it's a one off and it could be nothing, but it's certainly a yellow flag. I'm pretty sure your reseller won't be able to do anything without a hard failure, but I'd be in contact with mine to at least let them know it happened. For the record. The V12 control board seems to be having teething pains for some folks... sadly there isn't a good supply of replacements yet.

It might be worth opening up to see if anything is loose, of if there are obvious soldering problems on the board. But get in touch with your reseller.

• Like 3

Jason at ewheels had me get in touch with inmotion HQ and they remotely connected to my wheel. They had to manually re-add my serial number which had disappeared and then do a reactivation on the wheel itself. 

My Bluetooth ID is completely different from when I first got the wheel. Otherwise I rode it 15 miles yesterday and it felt fine.

• 2 weeks later...

@taiguy This sounds similar to the issue I had. 

I first got my wheel, all was good - until I went down one day at about 20mph (painful, made recovery). That incident (I believe) ended up causing the Bluetooth antenna to unseat enough from the board to cause a connection failure, I only learned this after accidentally disconnecting it from the board when removing the touchscreen doing exploratory disassembly with IM Tech Clark about a month after reporting the issue to EWheels and receiving a new motherboard to install. Until then, I couldn't connect via any app, I could access settings via touchscreen but no settings would save, speed clamp was off, no speed/telemetry data would save, otherwise completely usable. My issue was interesting since the antenna itself is new for the V12 model for better BT connectivity, V11 and older used an integrated antenna, so IM thought the issue was the pin connector, and/or BT board; EWheels thought the motherboard (hence the replacement). 

After fixing it, I ended up using some RTV to prevent the antenna from unseating, and around a pin connector I ended up removing some factory 'glue' to verify a solder point - well my RTV isn't non-conductive... This caused the wheel to power on, and after unlocking with a passcode I put on, would unlock for a literal second then go right back to the passcode. Fortunately I knew exactly what the issue was by now and it's back to working.

I'm not sure if replacing the board fixed the settings memory/saved state (it very well may have, but the board I replaced looked absolutely fine), but my issue taught me the board is proprietary in it's overall operation. The old HP/Dell computers taught me about proprietary systems, like some wouldn't POST unless literally every piece of hardware is connected & read by the mobo (like the worthless floppy/CD drives).

A short in the touchscreen/Bluetooth pin connector caused it to constantly re-lock itself, an unseated Bluetooth antenna (I believe the old board is still good) wouldn't allow settings to save or be changed... I think you may be looking at a loose connection on one of the boards, and it could be something stupid like the BT antenna coming unseated.

Might feel intimidating taking it apart the first time (take pics/video), but after 5-8 times of disassembly & reassembly you kinda memorize how many screws go where, what they look like, size.... :wacko:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Khazik said:

After fixing it, I ended up using some RTV to prevent the antenna from unseating, and around a pin connector I ended up removing some factory 'glue' to verify a solder point - well my RTV isn't non-conductive... This caused the wheel to power on, and after unlocking with a passcode I put on, would unlock for a literal second then go right back to the passcode. Fortunately I knew exactly what the issue was by now and it's back to working....

THIS is really helpful information. Some of us think of Silicone sealant as being non conductive by nature. You try a different compound or just scrap the securing-pin-connector idea?

@nosamplesplease Oh the BT antenna connector is definitely secured and working well. My original intent was to kinda glue it to the board, but I ended up making a pillar of RTV from it to the metal touchscreen housing due to how I could access the area; 'happy accident' if you will, now it's got a legit shock dampener on it. 

The pin connector on the circuit board the touchscreen plugs into however I had to cut & pick clean the sealant. I think next time I get in there, I'll use 'liquid electrical tape', looks like the same stuff that's in there already on some of the battery connectors.