Strange sound after tire change on Nikola

Kristof Willen

So I've changed the tire on my Nikola & put everything back together.  The wheel powers on nicely, I did a careful & very short first maiden trip for the new tire, but then I heard a strange noise when returning home.  I thought it to be the fan which had maybe some sand in it (the inner shelves had some dust & sand accumulated in some corners), so I opened the wheel again to verify.

Turned out the fan isn't even spinning ! Maybe I am paranoid, but I have the impression the wheel makes more noise than before.  See the video, the sound can be heard in the last seconds, it resembles a bit like a cat purring.

Just want to be sure nothing is wrong before I stress the wheel in full force again...

https://youtu.be/LYYZOq3Hoek

Edited by Kristof Willen

The speaker on my computer is totally pathetic, but I couldn't hear anything in your video, not even a cat purring? Kingsong motors will sometimes make a very soft grumbling noise that's supposed to be normal, I don't know about the Nikola though.

I wonder if maybe one of your wires might be barely touching a part that is vibrating? You could move the wires around gently and see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from. Be careful not to electrocute yourself or otherwise damage the wires! Be sure to check that all the bolts and screws are tight as well, especially the ones you removed to do the tire change. Check them all, even the ones you didn't touch.

Edited by Tawpie

On 12/10/2021 at 11:36 PM, Tawpie said:

I wonder if maybe one of your wires might be barely touching a part that is vibrating? You could move the wires around gently and see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from. 

No, it's rather the engine.

I suspect myself to be too cautious, went on a commute yesterday, without any problem.  

People always warn a new (other-than-stock) tire really forces you to learn to ride again.  Turned out to be true, almost got thrown off the wheel in the first turn.  Seems the famous gyro effect on the Nikola has disappeared completely with the new tire (CST 1773).

• Like 1