Tesla v1 replacement control board advice

CampusCommuter

Hello all, I recently blew several MOSFETs on my Tesla v1 (accidently shorted the board while trying to address a water exposure incident). I considered just buying new MOSFETs and resoldering them to the board, but I'm not exactly confident that all other components are still in good condition. Sooooo, I'm looking for a source for a new control board and am hoping to do so at the lowest reasonable price.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on AliExpress option (price is a significant concern for me), but I wanted to mine the collective conscience to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Also, any tips about the reassembly would be great. I'm fairly technically savvy, but if there's any specific protocol for plugging in a new board, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Edited by CampusCommuter

• CampusCommuter changed the title to Tesla v1 replacement control board advice
16 hours ago, CampusCommuter said:

specific protocol for plugging in a new board

I've zero experience with a Tesla, but in general, you do want to make sure that all connectors EXCEPT the battery are connected and secured before you reconnect the battery. Double check all the screws and connectors to make sure they're nice and snug while you're in there, and dress the wiring bundles as needed (a packet of zip ties is quite affordable but in a real pinch polypropylene string or waxed dental floss works too).

OH... during disassembly, before you touch anything else 'lektronik, disconnect the battery and turn the wheel on. This discharges the caps on the board so you won't accidentally zot yourself or something else.

As to Ali vs. eWheels, the additional cost you'll pay eWheels comes with some assurance that if anything is wrong you will be able to get it resolved. It's basically insuring your initial investment. If you bought your wheel from eWheels, they generally waive the shipping charge for spare parts—it's worth asking. 

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

OH... during disassembly, before you touch anything else 'lektronik, disconnect the battery and turn the wheel on. This discharges the caps on the board so you won't accidentally zot yourself or something else.

@Tawpie Thank you very much for those insights and for the eWheels waiver tip. I definitely could have used this discharging advice when I first went in. I definitely may have been the instigator of the MOSFET blow during a rather eventful discharging event during deconstruction.

Thanks again!

• Like 1