Runaway wheel

Aztek

19 minutes ago, null said:

so why not.

Yep, I started update immediately, of course, if I was the risk aversion type, I wouldn't be riding something which easily is the most dangerous thing to get your feet on and wouldn't have this conversation with you :)

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 2

How did the firmware update go? I’ve been ignoring those exact same symptoms on v2.07, lift sensor not working and crazy motor temperature readings. I figured the lift sensor was my fault for slightly over tightening the trolley handle straps and the motor temp was just a bad data connection.

but maybe not?!?!!?

Edited by Tawpie

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

motor temp was just a bad data connection.

The temperature readings are the same i.e. wrong.

The question is if the sensor feeds bad data to the controller which is responsible for temperature regulation and the fan will not start during summer causing the wheel to overheat or just the data fed to the apps is wrong which is no big deal.

What do you think, which one is the case?

Did you ride yours in the summer for long time without overheating?

I have been riding in the warm (85F) and the wheel stays quite cool (42C, sorry for mixing up units, it’s a colonist thing I think). My temp ranges between 0C and 686C and it’s never shut off on me.

I just did the firmware update to 2.08 with the better hand up, it fixed the max free spin shutoff but I haven’t checked it with the lift sensor turned on. I’m heading out on a ride shortly, hopefully it doesn’t dump me!

My 16x doesn’t have a fan, and it stays cool—it held and probably still holds the cool wheel record on Marty’s overheat hill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

My 16x doesn’t have a fan

Is that sure, as for 16xs they state: "Heatsink + turbo inverter fan with variable speed depending on temps"?

16x and 16xs should be the same with regard to the temperature depending parts of the construction, so if yours doesn't have a fan and stays cool, mine should be fine too.

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 1

I’ve had mine pretty much all apart and there isn’t a fan in there. It started life as a 16xs but I added a battery and in the process of doing that ended up with a 16x control board. I would have said it has a fan because it sure sounds like it does when you first connect it to a charger, but I definitely didn’t see it.

2.08 didn’t dump me off on its 25 mile inaugural run, but the motor temps don’t make sense… still likes to bounce to 40C but now the not-bouncy part has a lot more noise in it. And it doesn’t drop to 0C as often, but it did find its way there a few times. I’m going to back up to 2.02 (the version it had when new) to see if the motor temp is a firmware thing or not. I’m starting to think maybe it is.

Edited by Tawpie

Mine came with v1.2 and three caps, so I must have thin and discrete under the caps! I sure didn’t see it, but I wasn’t looking for it either (when I think “fan”, what’s on v1.5 above is what pops into my head). I’ll have to take a closer look next time I have it opened up.

It seems the sensor and the fan work as intended, only the temperature reporting fails, doesn't it?

Otherwise the cpu would get fried at summer or, worse, the battery pack might overheat without being detected.

It certainly is worthy to get the temperature reporting online and credible.

I have info for another 16xs reporting wrong. 

If all are like this, it diminishes the chance to get it working correctly.

I haven't yet opened mine, and I am not competent enough to fix it... Hope you have better chance and might advise me after.

Edited by Aztek

I downgraded to v2.02 to see if firmware affected the motor temperature… maybe? Maybe not? Now it spends the bulk of its time below 10C, which is a good trick as it’s 30C outside. It’ll bounce up to 43C, which seems more reasonable.

So somethings wrong with my motor temp sensor or the control board. I think it’s the board.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, bcarp said:

Was the wheel absolutely stationary when you picked it up? If the wheel was moving, then picking it up won't deactivate it. That's by design. You can imagine what would happen if you were riding along & pulled on the handle – you don't want the wheel deactivating if you're moving.

Unless you're trying to do a sweet backflip...

F3-A60-C0-D-495-E-4-E59-93-AC-4219-F6-A1

This is from v2.02 with my v1.2 control board. Note the MOTOR temperature (gray) is what is wonky, the other temperature (red) is reasonable, but I don’t know what it’s the temperature of! Ambient temperature was 85F at the end of the ride.

I’m guessing with this firmware the indicated motor temperature is half what it should be, or more likely needs a 20C offset added. But it’s the motor temperature so I’m not as worried about it. It has spent time at 686C (must be full scale but that’s a really strange number) and the thing didn’t turn into a molten mass or throw me on the ground so I don’t think the control board pays attention to it.

If the red is the control board temperature, and I don’t know what the red is indicating, then the control board is nice and cool.

The ride started and ended on pavement, the middle was some single track that I am probably not good enough to be attempting. But I made it! Without incident no less!

Edited by Tawpie

I hear the ventilators, I think, starting briefly when the charger is plugged in.

I think never heard them while riding.

It seems the sensors and active cooling system simply do not work. Presumably due to sensors' reading being off with some 20 degrees.

Kingsong, as we saw, don't care. Wheels do not overheat.

Having the sensors and ventilators onboard vaguely worries me. Feels redundant too.

Edited by Aztek