18XL shell rubbing up against CST-1488 tire

brockj

My wheel originally had the Chao Yang H-5201 tire. After putting in a CST 1488 (I bought it from AliExpress but it should be the same tire newer 18XL come with), Im definitely getting some tire rubbing on the shell when I shift a lot of weight on either side. Yes Im a heavy guy, but I've had my much lighter friends reproduce the rubbing.

https://youtu.be/kLNkKud

I've seen threads here on 18XL tire-shell rubbing before.. but I'm curious if anyone had this issue with the CST and not the CY tire, especially if you solved it. It's disheartening because I love the grip of the CST, but getting this sound whenever I pick up my foot to adjust is annoying and kinda concerning.

Man, i dont get why this tire gets so much praise. My 16x came with a CST 1488 and it was a rub machine! Even when adjusting my feet mid ride it would rub the inside.

I rode less than 5 miles on it and demanded my seller to change.

Every other wheel that i saw with a 1488 after that i asked and the owners said that it rubs too. Not a single exception.

After that i startet to question myself because every user on this forum says that the 1488 is the absolutely best tyre, while in my experience it is a extremely large tire that wont fit any euc that you put it on.

Aorry for the rant, but i am extremely happy with my chao yang, and i suggest you come back to the same tire model you came from, if you liked it.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Artullas said:

Man, i dont get why this tire gets so much praise. My 16x came with a CST 1488 and it was a rub machine! Even when adjusting my feet mid ride it would rub the inside.

The added traction and smoothing out bumps better are positives. It's slippery and bumpy this time of year in my city :) 

But I have the same experience with foot adjustment. The rubbing is so bad that I think I keep my feet too stationary on it.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Artullas said:

Aorry for the rant, but i am extremely happy with my chao yang, and i suggest you come back to the same tire model you came from, if you liked it.

Please, don't apologize. I appreciate the push in that direction. I think that's what I'm ultimately doing... I miss the rounder feeling of the Chao Yang anyway.