Gotway Mten3 Grinding Noise

sway2127

Hey Everyone-
There seems to be a few Mten3 questions on here lately, so I guess I'll add to the trend!

When I'm riding with all my weight on the right pedal there’s a “grinding” sound; when my weight is on the left or both pedals the noise doesn't occur. 

I tried to capture the sound here - https://youtu.be/5hS_iUi_z5o (note: in the video there is also a rhythmic clicking noise, I didn't notice that while actually riding, and I think it's just from the tile floor.  The constant grinding sound is the issue)

I don't see any visible evidence of rubbing on the motor casing or the inside of the shell, so my working theory, based on issues people have had on other (non-Mten3) wheels that seem somewhat similar, is a loose axle nut. 

I'm going to take the unit apart and torque the axle nut, but is there anything else you can think of, or anything else I should check while I have the wheel open?

Its a good time to cover any lights you hate looking at. You may also want to just inspect all the cables and connector and the circuit board for corrossion. DO NOT allow any loctite to get near plastic, if you decide to use any. I dont recall using any on mine, but if the axle nut seems to have backed off, it wouldnt hurt. They should have torqued it and put marking paint to indicate if its moved, but.... well....    While you are in there, you can look to see if the 'gotway glue guy' was gracious enough to christen your wheel with his skillz. There's really not much to an mten. I kind of like how stupid simple it is and I havent had to open mine since the first time. Mine does moan and groan a bit, but i chalk it up to the same as a fat guy riding a pony. Just be mindful of all coneections and be careful not to overtighten anything plastic. May be a good time to add some bees wax to pedal pivot spots too. It goes without sayin, try to make sure the mten is warm before pulling on the plastics. In auto industry, I used to run a vehicles heater blasting wide open for a few hours, before doing any dash work :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 1 year later...

I got an MTen3 and at first, it wasn't making a noise, then it started making a grinding noise similar to that one.  I found out that it in my case, it was caused by the silicone corner protectors that I added, which were rubbing against the tires.  After I cut the excess parts of the silicone protectors near the wheel, the noise disappeared.