My First Wheel: Veteran Sherman

Benjaminjhobbs

14 minutes ago, Benjaminjhobbs said:

The more people don’t know of us the better. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy sharing with others the joy and fun of the EUC but I think you know what I mean. 

I agree with your sentiment about remaining in the shadows so we can enjoy the hobby. Unfortunately, there's the other side of the crew. A lot of people want EUC's to become popular, as they believe its popularity spur legalization that favors the euc. Theres also the assumption that popularity brings money and money brings quality. Im not sure about that either, as once it becomes popular, the expense may increase as the companies now have outside forces regulating the manufacture and specs. Me, I'm the kind that believes the public will enforce laws against us at first.  Who knows how it will go, but thankfully in the USA, we have bigger things to focus on for now.

"cursing"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cursing

picking fun at your typo.

No need to clarify, we know what you meant, but its :lol: to poke fun. I'm glad its not at my expense.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

:efef8189d7: It’s poking a little bit of fun at auto-correct but also I’ve had things like “hot &@#+* this *#@?! is so %*&$# fun, I am so @!%#ing glad I bought this $*!?@$er” running around in my head. I try say those words to myself. No offense intended!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sherman coming, I crashed my MSP with less than 10 miles on it. Had to send it back for repairs, was going to buy a second wheel this sped up the decision. MSP and a Sherman with on 10 miles under my belt. Got a long way to go that crash taught me a lot. Good luck to you and please guys wish me luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

I now have 156 miles after today’s ride. I am so glad I went with the Sherman as my first wheel. I can see the danger in going too fast too soon though! I have already removed the alarms and today I hit 35mph on accident! :shock2: Most of my miles have been technical riding though. Every day I go to an off-roading spot to practice maneuverability and technical skills. I can ride slowly on either foot one legged and just yesterday got down riding backwards after a few days of nonstop practice. Sometimes my wife is out and the kiddos are napping so I can’t go further than my driveway so I just practice tons of technical things, sharp turns, yo-yo(ing) or pendulum back and forth, going off curbs, going up larger and larger curb sections, etc. I think these things have helped me progress quickly. I found a large pothole by my house that I continuously hit half a dozen times or so before I have to come home to get a feel for the wobbles and gaining back control. I haven’t fallen yet but... I know it’s a matter of time. It is just so stinkin fun! I don’t know the record but it’s been three weeks and a day and I have 156.2 miles. I go on a ride once a day LOL. Just yesterday I learned something which really helped in regards to bumps: focusing on keeping my feet somewhat firm/planted while my knees are very loose.  I never stood straight legged but I also never tried to keep my upper body parallel while going over a bump and allowing just my knees to bend like a shock. This technique helped me tremendously with bumps and wobbles over such. Carving has also helped me feel more and more connected to the wheel. 

I know I have lots to grow still and many more miles but I think it clicked long ago. I love this thing. I don’t think twice about the weight now. Since the Sherman is all I know, I wonder what it would feel like going to small wheel. I can’t imagine anything lighter! :thumbup:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Benjaminjhobbs said:

Update: 

I now have 156 miles after today’s ride. I am so glad I went with the Sherman as my first wheel. I can see the danger in going too fast too soon though! I have already removed the alarms and today I hit 35mph on accident! :shock2: Most of my miles have been technical riding though. Every day I go to an off-roading spot to practice maneuverability and technical skills. I can ride slowly on either foot one legged and just yesterday got down riding backwards after a few days of nonstop practice. Sometimes my wife is out and the kiddos are napping so I can’t go further than my driveway so I just practice tons of technical things, sharp turns, yo-yo(ing) or pendulum back and forth, going off curbs, going up larger and larger curb sections, etc. I think these things have helped me progress quickly. I found a large pothole by my house that I continuously hit half a dozen times or so before I have to come home to get a feel for the wobbles and gaining back control. I haven’t fallen yet but... I know it’s a matter of time. It is just so stinkin fun! I don’t know the record but it’s been three weeks and a day and I have 156.2 miles. I go on a ride once a day LOL. Just yesterday I learned something which really helped in regards to bumps: focusing on keeping my feet somewhat firm/planted while my knees are very loose.  I never stood straight legged but I also never tried to keep my upper body parallel while going over a bump and allowing just my knees to bend like a shock. This technique helped me tremendously with bumps and wobbles over such. Carving has also helped me feel more and more connected to the wheel. 

I know I have lots to grow still and many more miles but I think it clicked long ago. I love this thing. I don’t think twice about the weight now. Since the Sherman is all I know, I wonder what it would feel like going to small wheel. I can’t imagine anything lighter! :thumbup:

youll toss a smaller wheel like a boss. Smaller and slower provokes me to have more 'technical' fun and to just look around and leisurely enjoy the area. I guess if you're stuck in a dirty city, you wouldnt want to go slower ;) Grats on picking it up. As your first wheel and having nothing to compare, its little wonder you feel like its the perfect size. Most other wheels will likely feel like toys to you now.