2.02 for KS 16X

Issah

Hello folks. The other day I finally decided to get a 16X, and have been loving it so far. I think the trolley handle is a little loose feeling at its most extended, but that's besides the point.

It came with 2.02 pre-installed, and I didn't really bother changing it, until I noticed that while turning sharply, specifically to the left, at low speeds, the wheel would tilt back significantly. Doing the same in a right turn did not reproduce this behaviour, and the tiltback was so extreme it became a chore to ride it. Even going at low speed in a straight line I felt like I was slowly rocking the tilt back and forth. All on the Hard riding setting.

I have, in an effort to make this behavior stop, calibrated it twice, to no avail, and since downgraded to 1.07. Riding it at 1.07 seems to have eliminated this problem. I took a long ride after work today on the older FW and didn't seem to feel that tilting anymore. My body leaning slightly differently in how I lean left or right did at times make it feel like it was tilting ever so slightly, but only at increadibly sharp turns did it seem to actually tilt at all. Safe to say I had an absolute blast riding it. So nimble and torque'y. 

In the two days I've had it I also dropped it twice. Once in motion, tire slipped on a wet, old low curb, scraped the thick part of the pedal a bit. And then again today, dropping it on some mixed gravel and stone as I failed to go up an incline, cus I wasn't clamping the shell, lol. Got up no problem once I adjusted my ride behavior though. Oh well, can't keep it pristine forever. Might as well get the scuffing over with.

I'm no expert but when you say you calibrated it, can you confirm that it was exactly flat in both front-to-back and side-to-side directions and stationary. Also, I believe others have said you always need to calibrate it immediately after changing firmware versions. I have used only 2.02 for 1000km and started to get funny tilting behaviour (though not related to turns) after a while which a calibration fixed. Admittedly that calibration was with me simply holding it on the side of the road until I could re-re-calibrate at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jancellor said:

I'm no expert but when you say you calibrated it, can you confirm that it was exactly flat in both front-to-back and side-to-side directions and stationary. Also, I believe others have said you always need to calibrate it immediately after changing firmware versions. I have used only 2.02 for 1000km and started to get funny tilting behaviour (though not related to turns) after a while which a calibration fixed. Admittedly that calibration was with me simply holding it on the side of the road until I could re-re-calibrate at home.

I dont have a great way to make sure the wheel is perfectly upright in both directions. I'm mostly eyeballing it. It has to lean up against something , for example. I'm going to get a stand soon, I think.

The linked thread mentions how it's no longer okay to lean it against something sideways (eg the wall) to calibrate it. Also you should recalibrate after those little drops apparently.

I didn't have a stand either. Two wooden chairs was the best I could come up with. (On the road, my "eyeballing" technique was to rest it lightly between my knees sitting on a bench and simply balance it instead of looking at it.) You could also intentionally calibrate it with the wheel leaning much to the left, check the tilt behaviour in turns, then repeat with a calibration leaning to the right and check if the behaviour is the opposite. This should give you confidence that it is really is a calibration issue (if it indeed is).

8 hours ago, Issah said:

I dont have a great way to make sure the wheel is perfectly upright in both directions. I'm mostly eyeballing it. It has to lean up against something , for example. I'm going to get a stand soon, I think.

Use 2 Brick (or wood prism). Here i repost my stand is simple just create it. I any hobby market you can find all parts you need i am shure they can cut wood and make holes for small money(all our hobymarket offer basic cuting/holes/ etc). This type stand is ideal for calibration. Sit ks16x on edges this fix you horizontaly and vericaly is fixed by stand done you can make calibration on 0,01 degree :clap3:

In FW 2.02 use MEDIUM to same feel like 1.07 HARD this is trick. Play with PSI try 35 to 40 Psi and find you optimal. (is on you preference low psi more chance to destroy you rim)

Modular Stand Eastern Europe Style.
Threaded Rod M12, 8 x Washers (40mm 4 nuts + 4 nuts with wings,
Dried wood 2 cm width. 18cm height. Length 30 cm
The stand is very stable and on a flat surface it can calibrate a unicycle very accurately.

ixqZXBN.jpg?1

here is stand topic: 

Edited by DjPanJan
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Use 2 Brick (or wood prism). Here i repost my stand is simple just create it. I any hobby market you can find all parts you need i am shure they can cut wood and make holes for small money(all our hobymarket offer basic cuting/holes/ etc). This type stand is ideal for calibration. Sit ks16x on edges this fix you horizontaly and vericaly is fixed by stand done you can make calibration on 0,01 degree :clap3:

In FW 2.02 use MEDIUM to same feel like 1.07 HARD this is trick. Play with PSI try 35 to 40 Psi and find you optimal. (is on you preference low psi more chance to destroy you rim)

Hey this is a great idea! I tried calibrating my wheel by putting one pedal arm up on the side of a small cabinet, but my problem is that the wheel will start spinning until cutout when I lessen my grip on the handle. How do you deal with this while calibrating?

15 minutes ago, Issah said:

Hey this is a great idea! I tried calibrating my wheel by putting one pedal arm up on the side of a small cabinet, but my problem is that the wheel will start spinning until cutout when I lessen my grip on the handle. How do you deal with this while calibrating?

Easy start 16X lay on wall.

click/push calibration and 16x go off

set on stand brick etc and turn on 16x.

Beep 5x (im not shure) end beep is longer 

Calibration done you 16x should not spining (this is how good clabration do 16x not spin if is leveled ) 

Use handle lift up out of brick/stand and done. 

Spining 16x after calibration is just bad calibration.

Whel can slooooowly move not spin this is ok too, ideal is no move. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Easy start 16X lay on wall.

click/push calibration and 16x go off

set on stand brick etc and turn on 16x.

Beep 5x (im not shure) end beep is longer 

Calibration done you 16x should not spining (this is how good clabration do 16x not spin if is leveled ) 

Use handle lift up out of brick/stand and done. 

Spining 16x after calibration is just bad calibration.

Whel can slooooowly move not spin this is ok too, ideal is no move. 

Thank you, I will try this!

So, Update:
I calibrated it, tire did essentially no moving, then I updated it back to 2.02 and re-calibrated it again. Again tire basically did not move, only slightly, as I was holding on the handle and that might sliightly affect the gyro. tested out sharp turns with the trolley, and it no longer does the strange tilting that it did when it came out of the box. Now I can also be reasonably sure that it's more or less perfectly level.

• Like 2