DC to DC Charger - How to charge for Solar or Car batteries

OneLeg

Guys I am having a very good experience using this DC to DC step up transformer to charge form Solar battery system. You can set the output voltage, can set the AMP rate, when it reaches the voltage it stops...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32819121704.html

I charge from 48V (12V 4S) ead acid) battery to 67.2V unicycle.

Don't forget about the AMPs if you are going to charge from 12V, the crocodile clamps need to be heftier.

Made by www.droking.com

• 1 month later...

Could you show more details about how you are using this?  What is your solar panel being used?  Do you just go solar panel to transformer to unicycle?  Maybe a picture?  How long does it take to charge from solar?

I have two of those DC to DC step up converter. One with LED and the other without, surprisingly the one without seems to have a higher efficiency. I judge it by set them to the same voltage and amperage, the one with LED is hot, while the other is just warm.

Therefore I will use the one with LED (less efficiency) to convert the 12v in my car to charge the EUC while I am driving. To be safe, it will only run at 1 amp, and the other one will up-convert an external battery pack from 36v to 67v. So I can charge the wheel just in case.

Well, now you see how useful those little step-up convertors can be !

Edited by Philip W

On 8/23/2020 at 5:34 AM, KalSeth said:

Could you show more details about how you are using this?  What is your solar panel being used?  Do you just go solar panel to transformer to unicycle?  Maybe a picture?  How long does it take to charge from solar?

Presently: I use 12V AGM batteries in 4S, to give me 48V. I charge from the solar panel, then I connect the DC to DC transformer and set the voltages amps.... and it charge pretty simple.

I am getting a new charger that doesn't need batteries and i will just connect the solar panels to the charger, 48V, and the the DC to DC step up... total 3 components and a bit of good weather. My daughter is riding on pure solar power..... I am buying more panels to get the AMPs up...

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 2.59.29 PM.jpeg

Congras on the successful setup !  You probably can get a 3D file from Drok and print a shell or something. I put mine in a plastic lunch box. All methods is good as long as it works well, right?

I am curious what kind of solar charger you are going to use? Any specific brands?

Well phillip my rig is experimental whilst batteries I have a 5P4S 48V, I only have one single solar panel... 12V. My current charger is a "make sky blue" it is good, but it doesn't do any setup up transforming and also draws power from the batteries. It is smart, have a number of cut off etc....

I've just bought a new solar charge, errr... lets just call it a set up transformer which powers itself from solar only.... than will go from the 12V to 48V and charge the whole series. Right now charging involved manual moving of the leads, so not balanced, some overcharged some overcharge and damanging the motorbike batteries I have. When I get the new solar charger I will post photos... It is not as smart as the Make Sky Blue, but it is going to do the job better for my liking....

When I have 4 panels in, that means about 250W, I should be able to plug the solar panels striaght into the DC to DC charger in the photo...

Yeah could do with a 3D printed box....

• Like 1